Recruiting while in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, this morning, I was having a discussion with a former DFP member about utter nonsense, as usual, but a good question emerged. When we discussed the possible changes to Alliance regarding the age cutoff, I mentioned that my now freshman daughter could play travel next summer except PGF. This got me thinking. How do girls who want to transfer get seen by coaches?

The college leagues, by me, are trash. It's primarily girls just having fun, no practices, and a low quality of play. Maybe I missed it, but how about having a few summer tournaments in the portal for girls? You could weed out the girls who want to be at the beach and get some very competitive ball. This also might help girls who enter the portal because they have no playing time.

You could offer 3-4 per summer, especially on weekends when there are no significant events to not conflict with them. You could even break it into divisions based on level of play. This way, you don't have a P4 pitcher facing D3 batters, and vice versa.

If this is not allowed because of NCAA rules, so be it. We thought it would be an interesting idea, like the Cape Cod League in college baseball.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
to Alliance regarding age cutoff, I mentioned my now freshman daughter could play travel next summer
Maybe she and other players like that could get paid to go back and play that age-added summer travel.

Going to guess there are teams organizations that will pay first year college players to come back and compete with them. Just saying it involves money, money does things...

... here's a little something $$$ for helping us out...

May 27, 2013
I know by me a few of the club teams have 23U. Specifically, Newtown Rock, PA Strikers, Pennsbury Gems, and Xtreme. Other areas of PA have the same. They play in a couple of tournaments run by USA Softball. There is also the Women’s Premier League ( honestly have no idea how the competition is, though).

That being said - I do like your idea, though!

ETA: It looks like NJ hosts a few 23U tourneys a well.

Jul 2, 2013
I wish we had more teams like this throughout the country:

That team is basically partnered with a Northwoods baseball team.

We have a wood bat baseball team locally that is made up of area college players (mostly D2 and below) and it draws great attendance. Why not offer the same for softball (not wood bat)? It would be good for the game, good experience for the players, and an opportunity to showcase their skills for the situation you are discussing.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Would it make sense to play at an existing tourney? Just add a few games in between the others since college coaches will already be there. There have been college games played in the fall in the middle of showcase in the HTX area. 10-12 college teams roll up in their buses, play 2 games and leave.

Apr 26, 2019
I know by me a few of the club teams have 23U. Specifically, Newtown Rock, PA Strikers, Pennsbury Gems, and Xtreme. Other areas of PA have the same. They play in a couple of tournaments run by USA Softball. There is also the Women’s Premier League ( honestly have no idea how the competition is, though).

That being said - I do like your idea, though!

ETA: It looks like NJ hosts a few 23U tourneys a well.
I can't speak for the women's fastpitch league in your area but the one by me is quite good.

I work with a woman that graduated a few years ago, well 5 now I guess. She played DII ball and was saying she wanted to keep playing and maybe was going to play slow pitch leagues. I kind of brow beat her and all but signed her up for the fastpitch league. She ended up loving it. She played with a mix of women from recent grads to early 30s. According to her, everyone playing played some level of college ball from.JuCo to P4 and the level of play was quite good.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Would it make sense to play at an existing tourney? Just add a few games in between the others since college coaches will already be there. There have been college games played in the fall in the middle of showcase in the HTX area. 10-12 college teams roll up in their buses, play 2 games and leave.
Now that's a good idea. Just expand the divisions to include a 23U level.

May 3, 2023
So, this morning, I was having a discussion with a former DFP member about utter nonsense, as usual, but a good question emerged. When we discussed the possible changes to Alliance regarding the age cutoff, I mentioned that my now freshman daughter could play travel next summer except PGF. This got me thinking. How do girls who want to transfer get seen by coaches?

The college leagues, by me, are trash. It's primarily girls just having fun, no practices, and a low quality of play. Maybe I missed it, but how about having a few summer tournaments in the portal for girls? You could weed out the girls who want to be at the beach and get some very competitive ball. This also might help girls who enter the portal because they have no playing time.

You could offer 3-4 per summer, especially on weekends when there are no significant events to not conflict with them. You could even break it into divisions based on level of play. This way, you don't have a P4 pitcher facing D3 batters, and vice versa.

If this is not allowed because of NCAA rules, so be it. We thought it would be an interesting idea, like the Cape Cod League in college baseball.

That’s 18+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2023
I’m curious what league her school plays, all college coaches I know practice daily, except around the holidays.

Their limited in the number of games they can play in the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968