Rear elbow leading the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
That is a big issue of using video. I talked to Bustos about this subject this weekend. As she stated internet hitting coaches like to use video to look at someone's swing. Example was her 2004 posted swing. What was the count? Where was the pitch location? Where are the runners? Did the batter bait the pitcher? What did the coach tell the hitter to do or place the ball? Without those answers you cannot look at a video and know what is going on. Like she stated , the hitter may not swing like they teach, because the situation during the game dictates what the batter must place the ball .

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS - Are you attempting to discredit Coach Tschida because of his instruction on a ten year old hitting video? Have your thoughts/beliefs/methods changed re: hitting over the past ten years?

C'mon, man!

Eddie35 mentioned that he has 'been around' coach John Tschida. My question is if this was the same person.

I performed a Google search on John Tschida, and this was the first video that I clicked on ... hence I used it in asking the question.

I'd like to think that the person in this video has revised their approach since making the video ... but I don't know, I haven't 'been around' him ... but I figured that those that had might comment.

I'd also like to think that people can focus on "what is being taught" versus "who is doing the teaching". To that end, I think many would disagree with what is being taught in this video ... regardless of "who" is performing the demonstration.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That is a big issue of using video. I talked to Bustos about this subject this weekend. As she stated internet hitting coaches like to use video to look at someone's swing. Example was her 2004 posted swing. What was the count? Where was the pitch location? Where are the runners? Did the batter bait the pitcher? What did the coach tell the hitter to do or place the ball? Without those answers you cannot look at a video and know what is going on. Like she stated , the hitter may not swing like they teach, because the situation during the game dictates what the batter must place the ball .

Video is important. It can help protect people from using improper teachings. Video reveals that the vertical forearm that was being advocated here was not used in Bustos' game swings. Video reveals that the hand path that coach Tschida was advocating in the above video is a false premise.

The Hanson Principle (… the one to use)
“Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You ignored what I was saying. Didn't say it is not important, I stated it is abused by many internet hitting coaches that have no idea what the hitter is doing and then trying to make a point with it. That is exactly what she stated you did with her 2004 swing that you posted. Posting a kid like many do can help someone. Posting an elite hitter and trying to make a point is worthless, unless you know what they are trying to do. That is why I would rather take advice from someone that actually plays the game, coaches and teaches.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You ignored what I was saying. Didn't say it is not important, I stated it is abused by many internet hitting coaches that have no idea what the hitter is doing and then trying to make a point with it. That is exactly what she stated you did with her 2004 swing that you posted. Posting a kid like many do can help someone. Posting an elite hitter and trying to make a point is worthless, unless you know what they are trying to do. That is why I would rather take advice from someone that actually plays the game, coaches and teaches.

What point do you feel I tried to make with that video that you disagreed with?

It was a good swing IMO ... a swing with many positive attributes ... but it, as well as her other game swings, do not support the vertical rear forearm action that we were speaking of. It's a fact ... supported by video.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
FFS said, "Video is important. It can help protect people from using improper teachings. Video reveals that the vertical forearm that was being advocated here was not used in Bustos' game swings. Video reveals that the hand path that coach Tschida was advocating in the above video is a false premise."

This is why IF you would ever actually post video of how you teach it would help others understand what you do verses your words of how others actually do it. Crystl actually demonstrates the vertical stacked position while doing slow motion swings. As she says you may only use 80 to 90 percent of your actual swing mechanics in a game based on the situation. However practicing in slow motion while doing it allows the body to become aware of what you are trying to do from your nose to your toes.

The data says plus.400 over 11 years and some of the video is ugly while doing it!

Since you know Mike and Sue ask them yourself. Many people have changed over the years. Mike E., Mike C., Sue E., John T. etc have all gotten smarter. There is a post of Sue on a baseball site explaining why all softball players are linear. The video is totally taken out of context. There is a picture of a 16 year old girl doing a demo of the big zone of the same web site. No she is not doing it 100% correct, but the way Howard and RVP teach the big zone are the same, since Don, Sue, and Mike consult with him. Taking a person doing a drill then talking about the swing is counter productive. Drills demo a flaw, they do not represent the whole swing.

Last edited:
May 13, 2008
What point do you feel I tried to make with that video that you disagreed with?

It was a good swing IMO ... a swing with many positive attributes ... but it, as well as her other game swings, do not support the vertical rear forearm action that we were speaking of. It's a fact ... supported by video.

This old chestnut? Neither Howard or Bustos advocate a perfectly vertical forearm. What they do say is "stacked" and you'll see Bustos go through this "stacked" position as a pass through. "Stacked" is a cue to keep the hands with the rear elbow and neither leading or trailing at the RVP connection point.

I know you can produce video of Howard saying the word "stacked" where his forearm appears to be vertical, but you are taking it out of context.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I use video to study the technique part of the swing. I've never in my life heard any pro player suggest that they have different techniques for different pitch counts, different pitch locations or different game situations. Going to the plate with a plan, or making an on-the-fly adjustment to a pitch, does not mean a player is changing the underlying technique part of the swing.

It seems to me that hitting programs like RVP are built on the assumption that there are specific universal movements that all good hitters do. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't need to know what the hitter is thinking to study the "technique" part of their swing. The real issue here as I see it is that not everyone uses the same parameters when differentiating between "style" vs "technique".

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This old chestnut? Neither Howard or Bustos advocate a perfectly vertical forearm. What they do say is "stacked" and you'll see Bustos go through this "stacked" position as a pass through. "Stacked" is a cue to keep the hands with the rear elbow and neither leading or trailing at the RVP connection point.
I know you can produce video of Howard saying the word "stacked" where his forearm appears to be vertical, but you are taking it out of context.

Thanks for this clarification. The part highlighted in "Red" makes more sense to me. To some of us, the clip of the girl doing the drill where the vertical forearm is maintained after the upper torso has full rotated is confusing and on the surface looks to be a bad drill. I actually do a similar drill, however I take out the upper torso rotation as I do not want the player to think in terms of the forearm remaining vertical as the hands turn the corner.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I use video to study the technique part of the swing. I've never in my life heard any pro player suggest that they have different techniques for different pitch counts, different pitch locations or different game situations. Going to the plate with a plan, or making an on-the-fly adjustment to a pitch, does not mean a player is changing the underlying technique part of the swing.

It seems to me that hitting programs like RVP are built on the assumption that there are specific universal movements that all good hitters do. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't need to know what the hitter is thinking to study the "technique" part of their swing. The real issue here as I see it is that not everyone uses the same parameters when differentiating between "style" vs "technique".

This is, I believe, a very important point.

I had a player on my team last year that was lowering her hands to 'get level with the ball' before she swung. She was getting very discouraged because she was not hitting. I tried to explain what she was doing wrong but she could not get it. Finally told her to think about keeping her hands up and swinging down at the ball. It worked for her. If you looked at her swing on video, you would see she wasn't actually swinging down, and her swing was much better. But if you asked her she would swear she was.

Reminds me of Mark Maguire saying that he started hitting more home runs when he learned to "swing down at the ball". If you watch him on video, he doesn't swing down either.

You can't always go by what a hitter says they are doing because they may 'think' about doing something in order to correct something else, even if they don't realize it. A vertical forarm could just be what she tries to do to keep her elbo from getting ahead or behind the hands at connection, as cshilt said, but not something that actually happens during the swing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma