Rear elbow leading the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
cshilt, I will let you respond to softballpreak and FSS, because it is a problem and Howard likes to bring up a relative of yours as an example. Watch the back arm elbow again in slow motion and the above picture.
Now on coaching females!

interesting points.

Lets take it a step further as to the girls being more upper body dominant.
Would using only the upper body effect their shoulder or elbow when throwing by negating the use of the lower body?

Why do the girls have a 23% higher rate of incidence as to ACL injuries for the same injury to a boy?

Do the glutes fire the knees the same in males as females?

Is their spine alignment the same in males as females?

Does carrying angle effect the male as much as the female?

Does laxity effect males as much as females?

If all the potential danger/disadvantages to females were the priority consideration at the beginning of sports there might not be any females in sports. I don't want to be their physician or physical therapist, I want to be their coach. I'm aware of potential dangers in sports and take precautions when coaching. How much time do you spend on discussing those differences when you are coaching the girls?

Marriage is the leading cause of divorce but that doesn't stop people from getting married!

By the way, effect is a noun; affect is the verb. Sorry, it's distracting.

Oct 25, 2009
Softballphreak, any summary of what you liked that you could describe would be appreciated.

Sorry, it's been around 7 years ago during the D3 Nationals. I can't remember the exact details. I just remember how his team played (although they came in second). I was still learning then even more so than now. I talked hitting with him at the picnic tables between games and of course watched his games but I can't remember many details. Kind of like when I used to watch Josh Hamilton in the cages; can't remember the details, but I remember he was awesome--even in the cage--before he was big time..

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
So if you know how to teach balance you would be the first coach that has ever been to a clinic that knows how! Tell us how you do it so your players won't get those ACL injuries , kids want to be shown so tell me how coach ? Now explain to us why laxity is important and most female coaches know why? We have been able to reduce ACL injuries in girls by 51% . Bustos told all of us , if she knew now what the Olympics trainers taught her she would not have had an ACL injury. If those high level coaches think it is important then I guess they are all wrong. Girls are Audio Visual learners , boys are Kinetic learners. How you teach is important. Girls ask why a boy asks how far coach. The above post came from Bustos, I cut and pasted it, sorry about the spelling. She stated she has worked with some of the best trainers in the world. Interesting how some come on here and blow it off.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
I'm wondering if you are making this up? I reviewed the lessons on 'addition' and 'connection'. Mike does talk about the relationship between the 'rear elbow' and the 'hands', but no description of the 'rear elbow getting stuck'. In all of Sue's and Mike's demonstrations here (with the exception of the skipping the rock demonstration) we do not see a "vertical forearm" at the "RVP Connection Point", but we do see the "pinched rear forearm-to-bicep" relationship (Power-Vee).

Can you be more specific on the exact lesson in which either Mike or Sue speak of the rear elbow getting stuck?

I am wondering if you have all the material available from RVP? Maybe you should refrain from calling someone a liar iand questioning their integrity if you don't have all the materials in your posession?

And to answer your question, its on the second Softball RVP disk and is called Problem 2 SB 2 within the Addition and Connection section.

Connection
Problem:
Stuck Elbow
Solution:
Top Hand Drill

If you don't believe me contact RVP and order the second disc and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Further, when Sue talks about the connection point on the second disc, she most definately demos the point in the swing that they look at for connection with her hand directly over her elbow directly over her hip and explains that they look for all three to be lined up. They NEVER use the word stacked, but she certainly has her hand barely below her shoulder and lined up with the elbow which is lined up with the hip.

Oct 25, 2009
So if you know how to teach balance you would be the first coach that has ever been to a clinic that knows how! Tell us how you do it so your players won't get those ACL injuries , kids want to be shown so tell me how coach ? Now explain to us why laxity is important and most female coaches know why? We have been able to reduce ACL injuries in girls by 51% . Bustos told all of us , if she knew now what the Olympics trainers taught her she would not have had an ACL injury. If those high level coaches think it is important then I guess they are all wrong. Girls are Audio Visual learners , boys are Kinetic learners. How you teach is important. Girls ask why a boy asks how far coach. The above post came from Bustos, I cut and pasted it, sorry about the spelling. She stated she has worked with some of the best trainers in the world. Interesting how some come on here and blow it off.

Many of the things that y'all have posted on here we have been doing for years. The balance thing, the hitting into a net off of a tee while pitching towards the tee on the other side of the net, the Charlie Lau drill (the one you call "reverse hand"), and others.

I'm not saying I haven't learned anything from you but I am saying you didn't invent the game or females.

Most every poster on here that tries to pass along their knowledge do so openly. That doesn't seem to be the case with your camp. You seem to be saying you're the only ones who know how. The statement "you would be the first coach that has ever been to a clinic that knows how". Really?

You have been able to reduce ACL injuries by 51%? How many is that--a Brazilian? I could say we've reduced ACL injuries by 100% if no one in our organization has never had an ACL injury.

Another thread on here there is a poster asking for help with 8-9 year-olds. You, in effect, told the poster that you had the answer but couldn't post it.

I believe you have some good knowledge but I'm not sure that sharing that knowledge freely on this forum is your real desire.

I don't believe I'm wrong when I say there are many who know what you know about males and females as far as the sport is concerned. It's one thing to share knowledge, it's quite another to think others are as ignorant as you seem to assume.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The solution
Now that these biomechanical differences have been identified, can we correct them?
……through strength and proprioceptive (balance) training, we have been able to train female athletes to fire their hip muscles and glutes in ways similar to males, thus stabilizing their ACLs. We can also change the hamstring to quadricep strength ratio to make it more favorable for protection of the ACL. With proper training and conditioning, female athletes can avoid ACL injuries and stay in the game.
Source: David Marshal, M.D .Medical Director, Sports Medicine Program Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
. Ask someone like Marc Dagenais and he will support the ACL injury info I posted. Now all I asked is a simple question on how you would teach me to get balanced since I want to play for you coach? Yes things have been around for years, and many are still teaching things that way. My camp? Ken is aware why I cannot post information, not like some on here that hide behind a screen name and are upset when we found out who they are and what they really know. We shared, than some took that information and posted it on every site they visit. Read Ken's post on Bustos. Those that ask I PM the information to them. Same as Howard Carrier /hitter does . So don't assume we don't respond. Many won't post on this site, because of the so called experts that got tired of defending themself. I will stand behind my statement that we have not called a parent/coach up yet that can explain balance and test for it at a camp clinic and Bustos has done more than I can count. Don't you think that might be a reason why so many young girls are getting hurt? If you underestand how it works, an ACL injury to a female starts at the age of 8 or 9 but doesn't tear till they play for years. The knee of a boy is like this U the knee of the girl is like this V and when a girl has surgery the grind it out after ACL surgery to look like a boys. So yes there are differences. Yes we know you droll all over FSS posts, but you also posted about Jen Yee, who was taught by Dave Paetkau . I and Howard both know Dave. So I guess its who do you believe. Someone who has yet to post anyone he has worked with our us.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
The solution
Now that these biomechanical differences have been identified, can we correct them?
……through strength and proprioceptive (balance) training, we have been able to train female athletes to fire their hip muscles and glutes in ways similar to males, thus stabilizing their ACLs. We can also change the hamstring to quadricep strength ratio to make it more favorable for protection of the ACL. With proper training and conditioning, female athletes can avoid ACL injuries and stay in the game.
Source: David Marshal, M.D .Medical Director, Sports Medicine Program Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
. Ask someone like Marc Dagenais and he will support the ACL injury info I posted. Now all I asked is a simple question on how you would teach me to get balanced since I want to play for you coach? Yes things have been around for years, and many are still teaching things that way. My camp? Ken is aware why I cannot post information, not like some on here that hide behind a screen name and are upset when we found out who they are and what they really know. We shared, than some took that information and posted it on every site they visit. Read Ken's post on Bustos. Those that ask I PM the information to them. Same as Howard Carrier /hitter does . So don't assume we don't respond. Many won't post on this site, because of the so called experts that got tired of defending themself. I will stand behind my statement that we have not called a parent/coach up yet that can explain balance and test for it at a camp clinic and Bustos has done more than I can count. Don't you think that might be a reason why so many young girls are getting hurt? If you underestand how it works, an ACL injury to a female starts at the age of 8 or 9 but doesn't tear till they play for years. The knee of a boy is like this U the knee of the girl is like this V and when a girl has surgery the grind it out after ACL surgery to look like a boys. So yes there are differences. Yes we know you droll all over FSS posts, but you also posted about Jen Yee, who was taught by Dave Paetkau . I and Howard both know Dave. So I guess its who do you believe. Someone who has yet to post anyone he has worked with our us.

I am NOT disputing any of your knowledge. As I said I have learned things from your camp's post. I still maintain that the differences between male and female softball/baseball players are insignificant to learning the sport. That is my main contention.

I do not see all these injuries you claim. Not in this sport. Basketball more than any. Shoulder issues in volleyball.

I've been coaching approx. 15 years at all levels except pro with many kids. Some of the kids I worked with at 10U are now coaching. I don't see the injuries you claim.

As far as how I would teach balance one of the things I do is have them bend at the waist first, then soften the knees. But it's not instant, it takes more than a weekend camp. But if you want THE answer I guess I could cut and paste some of your posts.

I'm just going to try to agree to disagree. I'll try to filter the softball info I like and leave the female anatomy to you. I'm done on the subject.

Sep 29, 2010
FFS...

Just for you...I don't always get it straight where I saw something, but I don't "make stuff up".

Connection Problems Slide
ConnectionProblems.jpg

Connection Problem Stuck Elbow Slide
ConnectionProblem2StuckElbows.jpg

Sue Demoing Connection and what it looks like.
Sue-Connection.jpg

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
justanotheradad. I think that the way FSS explains the " Hiding the Hands" on Jack Mankin discussion board would address some of our differences on teaching. It is an interesting idea. Perhaps FSS can explain his post. We do not teach our kids to wrap the hands when the load, so that might explain why the diffence in the back elbow discussion that seem to always come up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma