Rear elbow leading the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
I have been video-taping several of my girls' swings and I notice that a couple of them tend to have their rear elbow in front of their hands during the swing. They end up serious bat drag because of this. Is there any drills or something that some of you use that helps to fix this?

Sorry, I can't post the video at this time.

Thanks

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I was waiting for someone else to respond to your post as this is a very common problem. I suspect you will get many different opinions. My view is that the primary reason for the elbow getting ahead of the hands (bat drag) is due to the player not understanding how to get the bat started correctly.

I attack the problem by first teaching what I believe to be the correct way to slot the back elbow. As I'm teaching that basic movement I'm also talking about the importance of an active top hand. A lot of girls I work with have sleepy wrist. If the hands aren't active during the action of getting the hands flat, the shoulders will turn and the hands will get left behind.

I also do top hand drills where the players swing a small bat using just the top hand. The object here is to try and get them to recognize how the back arm action in hitting is similar to a side arm throw, and to build in good sequence.

Oct 25, 2009
Two of the most common things I've noticed contributing to bat drag is 1) bat too heavy and 2) not leading with the hips (using a hands-first swing instead).

Even if their bat is not too heavy if they have a bad case of bat drag I would have them use a much lighter bat or a small bat while working on correcting the bat drag. Not necessarily for all of the practice--just while the focus is on bat drag.

Putting them in a check-swing position and having them swing from that position is also helpful. In other words, the hips have already opened to the pitcher and the hands are in launch position--then swing from there while focused on the back elbow staying behind the hands.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Two of the most common things I've noticed contributing to bat drag is 1) bat too heavy and 2) not leading with the hips (using a hands-first swing instead).

Even if their bat is not too heavy if they have a bad case of bat drag I would have them use a much lighter bat or a small bat while working on correcting the bat drag. Not necessarily for all of the practice--just while the focus is on bat drag.

Putting them in a check-swing position and having them swing from that position is also helpful. In other words, the hips have already opened to the pitcher and the hands are in launch position--then swing from there while focused on the back elbow staying behind the hands.

Funny you say this.

I had a 1hr hitting session with a kid suffering with a 'bat drag' issue yesterday. Took their -12 bat and told the kid they were done using that bat. Handed the kid a -10 bat of the same size. Told the kid there would be no more powering the swing with the 'arms', that they were going to learn to swing with their body ... and that there would be no rescue from swinging an ultra-light bat. I gave the kid zero options .... learn to 'swing' the bat with their 'body', or 'punt' .... no more use of a ultra-light bat to subsidize a poor swing.

Fastest correction to 'bat drag' I ever had. I generally have 'bat drag' eliminated over the course of 2-4wks. One private lesson for this kid, using a 2-oz "heavier" bat, and 'bat drag' was gone.

T

theaddition

Not even close.
The hips have nothing to do with bat drag unless they get too far ahead of the hands/arms.
Neither does a heavy bat.
The answer lies in the use of the hands or lack their of.
The best way to teach a kid to hit with bat drag is to tell them the hand are along for the ride.
Been there, done that, ain't ever goin back.

BD

Oct 25, 2009
Take a bat that is definitely too heavy and watch a kid try to drag it around. Then you will see what I'm talking about.

I suggested a too-light bat for someone who is dragging because of a too-heavy bat (as a drill). If they are already swinging a bat that is too light that's a different issue.

Look at some of the clips on this forum of bat drag and notice how often the kid doesn't lead with the hips.

A hands-first swing with a bat too heavy is a recipe for bat drag; especially with newbies.

Jan 12, 2009
Heavy bat like softballphreak mentioned is what I look at first. Depending on the age! This website talks a lot about it Bat Drag 101 After that we find that the kids who start with the rear elbow up will try really hard to get the rear elbow in the slot position and this occurs way to early in the swing. So long story short is they are failing to get into a good launch position. They also do not understand the concept that they need to take the the upper body in one piece to the ball once they get to a good launch position. You want them to be short to the ball and long though it. It's amazing with the kids I see how many do not know how long they can keep the bat head above the hands before getting on plane with the pitch. Try to get them into a launch and early bat lag position like this ----> http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...YnjAQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0 We have our athletes exaggerate things in practice so as they launch we tell them to drive the knob of the bat at he ground at a cone out in front of them. JUST DON'T LET THEM DRIVE IT MORE THAN A COUPLE OF INCHES. This is not take the hands to the ball! We do a load, step and launch warm-up and with some kids we hold up a hand so they do not drive the know to far before continuing the circular hand path. Clear as mud!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Players I work with are taught how to get to the position that these hitters are paused at.

launch position2&#46.jpg

Back elbow slotted. Front forearm max up. Hands close to back shoulder. Barrel pointed behind the shoulder...not...pointed towards catcher. Shoulders close to being square to the plate.

Get them into this position and have them throw the bat over the pitcher's head. Take out the pause and have them do it in slow motion. Gradually speed it up.

T

theaddition

Take a bat that is definitely too heavy and watch a kid try to drag it around. Then you will see what I'm talking about.

I suggested a too-light bat for someone who is dragging because of a too-heavy bat (as a drill). If they are already swinging a bat that is too light that's a different issue.

Look at some of the clips on this forum of bat drag and notice how often the kid doesn't lead with the hips.

A hands-first swing with a bat too heavy is a recipe for bat drag; especially with newbies.

I disagree. A bat that is too heavy would cause the hands to drop. Bat drag requires the bat to be held at the shoulder (along for the ride) too long. There is no way a heavy bat would cause the elbows to lead the swing. No way, no how.

I have corrected bat drag with the Sean Casey drill. That's what I call it. It's on MLB.com search for Sean Casey. It has never failed me.

Perhaps MTS can weigh in on this, as he is knowledgeable.

Kid's who don't lead with the hips usually have a multitude of issues and bat drag in them is coincidental. IMO.

The answer my fiend is in the upper extremities.

Over and out, I'm done.

BD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma