Rear elbow leading the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This old chestnut? Neither Howard or Bustos advocate a perfectly vertical forearm. What they do say is "stacked" and you'll see Bustos go through this "stacked" position as a pass through. "Stacked" is a cue to keep the hands with the rear elbow and neither leading or trailing at the RVP connection point.

I know you can produce video of Howard saying the word "stacked" where his forearm appears to be vertical, but you are taking it out of context.

It would be nice to clear this up. You don't find Bustos' game swings stacked as was advocated. It doesn't just negatively impact one's inside/outside adjustability, but also one's ability to establish connection.

Sep 29, 2010
They do however talk about not trapping the elbow as you move into connection when they (Candrea/Enquist on RVP) demo the big zone. Its possible that by exaggerating the spacing between the elbow and the side that it will improve a hitters ability to not trap the elbow? I think the goal is to allow the hands and elbow to be active so as to prevent a "gate swing"? Man, I need to rewatch that segment again now.

I do agree however that you can over do it, just like anything else. Good point.

T

theaddition

FFS - Are you attempting to discredit Coach Tschida because of his instruction on a ten year old hitting video? Have your thoughts/beliefs/methods changed re: hitting over the past ten years?

C'mon, man!

The video is not ten years old.
The clip is from his mega hitting drills dvd from 2009.
The 2001 you see is on the fence at University of St. Thomas.
And it says:
"UST National Champions 2001"
And, it refers to the 2001 UST baseball team. The videos were filmed on the baseball field.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The video is not ten years old.
The clip is from his mega hitting drills dvd from 2009.
The 2001 you see is on the fence at University of St. Thomas.
And it says:
"UST National Champions 2001"
And, it refers to the 2001 UST baseball team. The videos were filmed on the baseball field.

Very unfortunate that he's distributing information like this.

Can't stress enough the importance of the Hanson Principle. It is good filter that helps avoid hurtful, albeit well intended, information.

T

theaddition

Very unfortunate that he's distributing information like this.

Can't stress enough the importance of the Hanson Principle. It is good filter that helps avoid hurtful, albeit well intended, information.

I wouldn't judge his work by one vid clip.
He's worked with a number of national teams world wide.
He is the real deal.
My daughter's swing is 90% Tschida instruction.
She's been to multiple clinics and clinics he's put on for her team (winter clinic).
We sat down with him a couple of months back a talked for an hour-and-a-half during a recruiting trip.
We talked about everything from college life at UST to hitting.

I don't own his dvd's, I don't need them because of the in person training my DD's had with him.
He's never shown that drill to my DD at any clinic and I've never had her do that drill.

On a side note:
He's the reason that a lot of us are talking about "The Talent Code".
It's a must read for everyone interested in developing talent.

BD

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
They do however talk about not trapping the elbow as you move into connection when they (Candrea/Enquist on RVP) demo the big zone. Its possible that by exaggerating the spacing between the elbow and the side that it will improve a hitters ability to not trap the elbow? I think the goal is to allow the hands and elbow to be active so as to prevent a "gate swing"? Man, I need to rewatch that segment again now.

I do agree however that you can over do it, just like anything else. Good point.

Justanotherdad ... I reviewed both Sue & Mike’s “Big Zone” demonstrations. I didn’t hear any such mention of about the concern of the rear elbow being trapped. To the contrary, Sue actually speaks of the importance of leading with the rear elbow. Extra kudos to Sue for mentioning the importance of getting on line with the pitch as 'early' as possible. Way to often we have people over emphasizing the other end of the zone.

Mike did mention the “lead elbow” … but no mention about being concerned with the rear elbow being trapped in his "Big Zone" demonstration.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I know you don't want to hear it. One other issue that men that don't teach females don't undestand.. How the back arm or elbow clears. Those that teach men do not have to deal with this issue. Let's just say it the Jessica Simpson issue!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I wouldn't judge his work by one vid clip.
He's worked with a number of national teams world wide.
He is the real deal.
My daughter's swing is 90% Tschida instruction.
She's been to multiple clinics and clinics he's put on for her team (winter clinic).
We sat down with him a couple of months back a talked for an hour-and-a-half during a recruiting trip.
We talked about everything from college life at UST to hitting.

I don't own his dvd's, I don't need them because of the in person training my DD's had with him.
He's never shown that drill to my DD at any clinic and I've never had her do that drill.

On a side note:
He's the reason that a lot of us are talking about "The Talent Code".
It's a must read for everyone interested in developing talent.

BD

Thank you BD.

I meant what I said to you this weekend ... I do like your DD's swing.

What you say here stresses the importance of the Hanson Principle. Even when receiving information from someone highly noteworthy, it is still possible to receive bad information ... ... ... and the Hanson Principle is a quick filter to help "filter in" good information and "filter out" bad information.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I know you don't want to hear it. One other issue that men that don't teach females don't undestand.. How the back arm or elbow clears. Those that teach men do not have to deal with this issue. Let's just say it the Jessica Simpson issue!

Again, another reason to make use of the Hanson Principle. Woman far bustier than the person in Howard's "Big Zone" demonstration don't have their rear elbow anywhere near as far displaced from their body during game-like swings. Interesting theory ... just not supported by video.

T

theaddition

I passed your comments on to my DD. Thanks.
As a matter of fact, when I left the webcast on Saturday it was to go watch his team play at a dome tournament.

I had John Cohen's dvd for about three plus years.
He has a lot of drills on it. There must be 50 or so.
If I had to estimate how many of them we've used, I'd say five or six.
Hitter has given a lot of advice on this site in the past.
Because I don't understand all of what he is describing, I don't use all his suggestions.
The reason, if I don't understand all the instruction given, I won't be able to pass it along to my DD.
An incomplete understanding leads to poor instruction on my part.
That's why a lot gets lost on a dvd or web post. In person instruction is worth a ton.
If I could attend a Howard Carrier clinic, I would.
Fortunately, We have Tschida up here.

BD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma