Rear elbow leading the hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
I passed your comments on to my DD. Thanks.
As a matter of fact, when I left the webcast on Saturday it was to go watch his team play at a dome tournament.

I had John Cohen's dvd for about three plus years.
He has a lot of drills on it. There must be 50 or so.
If I had to estimate how many of them we've used, I'd say five or six.
Hitter has given a lot of advice on this site in the past.
Because I don't understand all of what he is describing, I don't use all his suggestions.
The reason, if I don't understand all the instruction given, I won't be able to pass it along to my DD.
An incomplete understanding leads to poor instruction on my part.
That's why a lot gets lost on a dvd or web post. In person instruction is worth a ton.
If I could attend a Howard Carrier clinic, I would.
Fortunately, We have Tschida up here.

BD

BD, I think you are fortunate. I've only heard good things about Tschida's materials, this one demonstration notwithstanding. It is too easy to take one demonstration, like the big zone demo, and take it out of context. Hitter's big zone demo is about 5-10 minutes of instruction that occurs during the beginning of Howard working with a hitter. I've been in Howard's garage with my daughter many many times and we've only done "big zone" once. I doubt that Tschida uses his version of big zone very much either.

Just my humble opinion, but if you have a proven coach who has won NCAA championships or instructed/coaches Olympic athletes you'd have to be nuts not to listen. I'd love to review Tschida's materials sometime, but I haven't pulled out the credit card yet. Anyone have a set they can loan?

Sep 29, 2010
Ooops. My fault. They actually speak of the elbows getting stuck while passing through connection as being a swing fault.

I still think its relevant and I think it equally applies to the Big Zone anyway. So :p

Oct 25, 2009
I know you don't want to hear it. One other issue that men that don't teach females don't undestand.. How the back arm or elbow clears. Those that teach men do not have to deal with this issue. Let's just say it the Jessica Simpson issue!

Are you saying that their chest doesn't rotate, that they swing across their chests? I have never observed that being a problem.

I've never had any player use that reason; and I've had (have) some really well-built players.

The Jessica Simpson issue would more appropriately refer to the brain.

Oct 25, 2009
BD, I think you are fortunate. I've only heard good things about Tschida's materials, this one demonstration notwithstanding. It is too easy to take one demonstration, like the big zone demo, and take it out of context. Hitter's big zone demo is about 5-10 minutes of instruction that occurs during the beginning of Howard working with a hitter. I've been in Howard's garage with my daughter many many times and we've only done "big zone" once. I doubt that Tschida uses his version of big zone very much either.

Just my humble opinion, but if you have a proven coach who has won NCAA championships or instructed/coaches Olympic athletes you'd have to be nuts not to listen. I'd love to review Tschida's materials sometime, but I haven't pulled out the credit card yet. Anyone have a set they can loan?

Coach Tschida is a great coach but keep in mind that hitting is only part of what makes him a great coach with great team results.

Anyone who has ever watched his pre-game infield warmups has got to have come away with a lasting memory. I don't know how good his videos are but I was definitely impressed with his hitting philosophy a few years back. He's awesome!

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Are you saying that their chest doesn't rotate, that they swing across their chests? I have never observed that being a problem.

I've never had any player use that reason; and I've had (have) some really well-built players.

The Jessica Simpson issue would more appropriately refer to the brain.

Glad you posted this. When the hands get flat correctly there is no clearance issue. Clearance issues are an indication that the player is lowering their rear elbow by simple adduction. Good hitters slot the back elbow and get the front forearm max up off the chest before the hands turn the corner. The hands stay at the back shoulder as the upper torso turns. As the upper torso comes around and the chest begins to face the pitcher the hands work out in front of the body.

Bondslag..jpg Bondsbatlag.jpg

There is also no way to trap the back elbow when the hands are flattened in this manner.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
cshilt, I will let you respond to softballpreak and FSS, because it is a problem and Howard likes to bring up a relative of yours as an example. Watch the back arm elbow again in slow motion and the above picture.
Now on coaching females!

interesting points.

Lets take it a step further as to the girls being more upper body dominant.
Would using only the upper body effect their shoulder or elbow when throwing by negating the use of the lower body?

Why do the girls have a 23% higher rate of incidence as to ACL injuries for the same injury to a boy?

Do the glutes fire the knees the same in males as females?

Is their spine alignment the same in males as females?

Does carrying angle effect the male as much as the female?

Does laxity effect males as much as females?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Coach Tschida is a great coach but keep in mind that hitting is only part of what makes him a great coach with great team results.

Anyone who has ever watched his pre-game infield warmups has got to have come away with a lasting memory. I don't know how good his videos are but I was definitely impressed with his hitting philosophy a few years back. He's awesome!

Softballphreak, any summary of what you liked that you could describe would be appreciated.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ooops. My fault. They actually speak of the elbows getting stuck while passing through connection as being a swing fault.

I still think its relevant and I think it equally applies to the Big Zone anyway. So :p

I'm wondering if you are making this up? I reviewed the lessons on 'addition' and 'connection'. Mike does talk about the relationship between the 'rear elbow' and the 'hands', but no description of the 'rear elbow getting stuck'. In all of Sue's and Mike's demonstrations here (with the exception of the skipping the rock demonstration) we do not see a "vertical forearm" at the "RVP Connection Point", but we do see the "pinched rear forearm-to-bicep" relationship (Power-Vee).

Can you be more specific on the exact lesson in which either Mike or Sue speak of the rear elbow getting stuck?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma