Correcting Elbow Drag (racing elbow)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I am struggling to correct elbow drag on both of my kids swings. Their ages are (13 & 11). I have already look through all of the old threads on this site and every YouTube video. Can anyone share how you have overcome this?
I tend to agree with a lot of the replies already made. The one that stick out the most to me as the sole reason is dead hands. Meaning that the hands get active late, after the elbow gets through first. Instead the thought needs to be the hands have to torque the handle with direction to the ball right from the get go. Another issue I personally also look at is sequence of the load up until launch, which partially plays into what Efastball was getting at.

Do you happen to have any video of one of the players to see what all is going on?

This video I think is a good one to possibly address the issue.

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/teaching-the-high-level-pattern.43383/post-663489

Here is the red forearm trainer in the video

Amazon product ASIN B00067E4YU

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I tend to agree with a lot of the replies already made. The one that stick out the most to me as the sole reason is dead hands. Meaning that the hands get active late, after the elbow gets through first. Instead the thought needs to be the hands have to torque the handle with direction to the ball right from the get go. Another issue I personally also look at is sequence of the load up until launch, which partially plays into what Efastball was getting at.

Do you happen to have any video of one of the players to see what all is going on?

This video I think is a good one to possibly address the issue.

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/teaching-the-high-level-pattern.43383/post-663489

Here is the red forearm trainer in the video

Amazon product ASIN B00067E4YU

Yeah dead hands might not be the best explanation, but the simplest answer.

Some hitters fall into a movements pattern that uses the hands late, as you mentioned.

May 12, 2016
Video is always helpful. I think sometimes bat drag is misdiagnosed... are they really dragging the bat? IMO, there are times when the back elbow is a little in front of the hands and that's ok.