POLL pitching throwing weighted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Your feedback

• Use, No bad issues

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Hard to use stopped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Created issue stopped

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Created injury stopped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried it, didnt like it stopped

• Never tried it

• Total voters
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Created this Poll and Discussion post to take a look at the use of pitching with a weighted ball.
Perhaps we can get a thorough response about this training tool.

How many pitchers use pitching with weighted ball?

Has it helped? How has it fit into your pitching schedule regiment?

How many have sustained an injury/issue from pitching with a weighted ball?

Maybe it was a pulled leg or groin muscle. Perhaps felt something in the back. Perhaps felt something in the shoulder or biceps, forearm or wrist? Maybe it occurred after the first time you used it? Maybe it was something that created injury over the use of time?

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Dd uses plyo balls in her warm up and in between innings. She does not pitch full circle with them. They’ve actually helped her with her mechanics and velocity.

Jan 20, 2023
My daughter does a lot of drills close in with them isolating parts of the pitch. But has never used them pitching full distance.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If one of DD's PCs used them then OK and teach us how to use them.

I know nothing and her random coaches that did not either, she never touched.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Hmmm 🤔 only 9 participants in the poll so far.
Got to be more pitchers...
GO DFP!

Noted the several posters who commented using the weighted ball but not with full pitch rotation.

Aug 15, 2021
We used when DD was around 12U, only partial motion from 9 o'clock through release. I was always afraid of injury. I do see instructors like Paisley using these extensively (she also sells them). Shoulder injuries can take time to recover from and I just worry about full pitching motion with a heavy ball. I prefer long/high toss for building strength.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Noted the several posters who commented using the weighted ball but not with full pitch rotation.

I, too, have only seen it either not with full arm circle OR not at 100% effort. Never full distance or full pitching motion. Usually just 10 feet into a wall.

I don't use them often. Typically only if a more knowledgeable pitching coach thinks they'll help one of our girls.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Playing catch with weighted balls/ no problem. Strengthens arm. Of course you have to take it slowly. Have purple and white balls. Forget exact weights. Regular ball feels weird, right after. Also good for helping break in new glove.

May 27, 2013
We used when DD was around 12U, only partial motion from 9 o'clock through release. I was always afraid of injury. I do see instructors like Paisley using these extensively (she also sells them). Shoulder injuries can take time to recover from and I just worry about full pitching motion with a heavy ball. I prefer long/high toss for building strength.
Anecdotally, DD’s shoulder issues never returned after doing PT and then using plyo balls with every warm up.

Mar 29, 2023
Our pitching coach has had DD use the 12" ball more as a mechanism for a larger/heavier ball (as opposed to the 11" she uses regularly in 10U). Have done the weighted balls short distances from rainbow position in the past, and it seemed fine, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Softball20242025