POLL pitching throwing weighted ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Your feedback

• Use, No bad issues

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Hard to use stopped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Created issue stopped

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Created injury stopped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried it, didnt like it stopped

• Never tried it

• Total voters
Jun 18, 2023
my understanding is that the best use of weighted stuff is either

A. as a workout thing, where you're trying to make everything stronger. But so much of pitching is endurance and repeatability of motion, so I'm not sure this would work out better than just throwing an extra 10* pitches with the normal weight ball. You're going to do less reps with a heavier thing. Even if you then switch to the lighter to "feel" stronger, you're not going to do as many as if you'd just done the lighter reps.

B. for whip, specifically for feeling the whip. Which is why you'd do it at like 9oclock to release, or I see some put both in the glove, start the motion, drop the heavy one behind them, then reverse, grab the ball, and pitch. You want to feel that lightness at the end, and feel that whip. Does this help even once you've progressed past the stage of really understanding your motion though?

There have been studies that show donuts (so in baseball, but same concept) in the on-deck circle can actually lead to a SLOWER bat speed. I could see a similar thing happening if you're warming up with a weighted ball before pitching.

May 27, 2013
my understanding is that the best use of weighted stuff is either

A. as a workout thing, where you're trying to make everything stronger. But so much of pitching is endurance and repeatability of motion, so I'm not sure this would work out better than just throwing an extra 10* pitches with the normal weight ball. You're going to do less reps with a heavier thing. Even if you then switch to the lighter to "feel" stronger, you're not going to do as many as if you'd just done the lighter reps.

B. for whip, specifically for feeling the whip. Which is why you'd do it at like 9oclock to release, or I see some put both in the glove, start the motion, drop the heavy one behind them, then reverse, grab the ball, and pitch. You want to feel that lightness at the end, and feel that whip. Does this help even once you've progressed past the stage of really understanding your motion though?

There have been studies that show donuts (so in baseball, but same concept) in the on-deck circle can actually lead to a SLOWER bat speed. I could see a similar thing happening if you're warming up with a weighted ball before pitching.
My dd did not start using them until college. I can tell you from catching her that when she goes full distance with the regular ball after warming up with the weighted balls she throws harder.

The weighted balls have also helped her to get her elbow bent a little more from 12 to 6 which has improved her whip. Hard to keep an arm locked out with the heavy balls.

Jun 18, 2023
My dd did not start using them until college. I can tell you from catching her that when she goes full distance with the regular ball after warming up with the weighted balls she throws harder.

The weighted balls have also helped her to get her elbow bent a little more from 12 to 6 which has improved her whip. Hard to keep an arm locked out with the heavy balls.

Harder than if she had warmed up with the regular ball though? Like have you measured how hard she throws with separate workouts? Not doubting it necessarily, just wondering really if it's really worth it as a warm up or not based on stuff I've read.

May 27, 2013
Harder than if she had warmed up with the regular ball though? Like have you measured how hard she throws with separate workouts? Not doubting it necessarily, just wondering really if it's really worth it as a warm up or not based on stuff I've read.
Yes. Harder than regular warmup. I can feel the difference when it hits my glove. She also hits 60 in games now where she didn’t before she used them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaydence