Pitchers who catch and catchers who pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A couple of thoughts...
1) In rec ball, especially in the younger age groups, coaches put their best athletes at P and C and may interchange them.
2) P and C are the two most physically demanding positions. TB team could play 5 or 6 games in a day vs. 1 or 2 for most rec teams.
3) Catching has the highest risk of injury.
4) In competitive TB #1 and #2 pitchers are typically the most valuable player on the team.
5) TB coaches do not want to risk their #1 or #2 pitcher getting hurt. Most coaches do not let them run the bases, and I know some coaches who do not even let them bat.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD #3 is one of the fastest girls on her TB team, and the best base runner. The coaches aren't going to take her out for a runner. OF course, she is a 12U player.

When DD #1 was on a 16U TB team, the #1 pitcher was a pretty fast runner. The only time I ever saw the coach take her out for a runner was to let DD #1 run for her. (DD #1 was faster.)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD #3 is one of the fastest girls on her TB team, and the best base runner. The coaches aren't going to take her out for a runner. OF course, she is a 12U player.

When DD #1 was on a 16U TB team, the #1 pitcher was a pretty fast runner. The only time I ever saw the coach take her out for a runner was to let DD #1 run for her. (DD #1 was faster.)

I said "most", not "all"....and the ratio goes up as the level of TB increases!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I said "most", not "all"....and the ratio goes up as the level of TB increases!

I understand.

The impression I get is that the pitchers and catchers are OFTEN (but not always) the best athletes esp. in the younger age groups. That being the case, they are often the best hitters and base runners as well. A young lady from Madison was the best hitter and best pitcher on her team, sometimes winning 1-0 with a home run. She is now a scholarship player at Drake.

I can understand the coach's desire to prevent injury.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom