Pitchers who catch and catchers who pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
There is something I have seen a lot around here in rec ball, although not nearly so much in TB.

In rec ball, at least at the younger age groups, it seems like all the pitchers also catch, and all the catchers also pitch. I've seen that up to 14U (which is how old the rec ball goes here). DD #3 has caught almost as many innings as she has pitched in 10U, 12U and a few 14U rec ball games, but has never caught in TB.

Most of the girls I've seen do both were primarily pitchers, but a few were primarily catchers who also pitched.

Not too surprising. Pitchers often catch for each other in practices, and both require a strong arm.

In TB, I haven't seen this as much. I've seen girls pitch and catch in friendly scrimmages, and I know of a few pitchers who are emergency catchers, or the other way around. DD #3's TB team only has one regular catcher now, so some of the pitchers will probably take up the slack. One pitcher just got some catcher's gear recently. Poor DD #3 might have to catch some TB games.

What is the oldest level any of you have seen a girl pitch AND catch for rec ball or TB?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For rec - all the way through 18 and in club ball for adult leagues.

For TB not beyond 12U-B with a few emergency innings as exceptions - but no significant regular time for both positions.

With the number of games you can play in a weekend the legs just give way sooner or later if you try to do both.

Jan 23, 2014
I don't have an answer for you, but I would think you need to give up one pretty quick if you are serious about softball. It is my opinion that pitching and catching both require extensive work outside of practice. I think if you really want to be good at the position you have to pick one. Emergencies can happen but a team needs at least 2 dedicated catchers to be successful at any level above 10u C.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD (16U) did both for a while and will still go in and pitch an inning or two here and there if needed but she switched 2 years ago to being primarily a catcher. All of her pitching practice has to be on her own in the backyard because it seems like there are always plenty that want to pitch but not many that want/can catch (this weekend DD warmed up 4 pitchers before the first game of the tournament).

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
DD was primarily a catcher until she got serious about pitching. Her first year of 10u TB she rotated between catching and pitching every other game. By her first year of 12u TB she may have caught one or 2 innings per weekend. She loves catching but her legs won't hold up to doing both and we have decided that she is much more valuable as a pitcher. I think it is very rare for girls beyond 12u to do both and even more so in the TB realm.

Apr 11, 2013
My oldest (now a 2nd year 14) pitches now, but caught through 12U. My youngest, plays 12U as a 10 year old and does both. Both are travel players.

Interestingly enough, the oldest, who is a decent pitcher, will probably be the #1 on her HS team and also the backup catcher.

I am a big supporter of girls being pitchers and catchers when they are younger. More time with the ball in their hand. More time seeing the ball come in from a pitchers hand. More time understanding how pitches move. It all helps.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd once caught quite a bit. Now not so much. She is ready as in an emergency. When she was 14 she pitched for her 14u team, and caught at a few tourneys for a 18u team. Since then (she is 17) she has maybe caught 6 games total.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
At the young ages or rec it is fairly common.
At a higher levels, not so much as both positions require a lot position specific practice to become really good at either.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I told one of our main pitchers this year (12u B) that I didn't want her catching at all this year. Too valuable as a pitcher. Unless she is your #3 pitcher, they will never keep up the energy in a tourney where you play 6 games in two days. So, if she pitches first and catches second, she is pretty much spent that day. If she catches first and pitches second, I just don't think her legs will hold up the whole game of pitching.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
In rec, pitchers and catchers are the most important players especially at 10u.if you have a good pitcher and a good catcher you can dominate in rec. your pitchers are often your athletes so the make good catchers too at that level. Travel ball coaches prefer not to wear their player out by doing both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom