Parent pitchers question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
Seems a bit high but it makes sense that it is higher since the talent level for some Leagues can be quite disparate compared to MLB. My 0.2 additional for TB might be a bit low then..lol.
On the teams my daughter went from/to, if the competition was the same it would have been about 1.0 per game. My old heuristic was she needed 4 outs per inning, now we get some outs we reasonably shouldn't (pick offs, dps, diving catches etc.)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
On the teams my daughter went from/to, if the competition was the same it would have been about 1.0 per game. My old heuristic was she needed 4 outs per inning, now we get some outs we reasonably shouldn't (pick offs, dps, diving catches etc.)
Same here, but it's even more exaggerated with high school. Her HS catcher was 0-32 on stolen base attempts, and she had one pickoff. Her travel catchers have thrown out ten runners and picked off five more. They have eight passed balls in 37 games, while the HS catcher had 21 in 21 games.

If you can't trust your catcher, it's hard for the pitcher to throw with confidence.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Lol..it feels like the PP are ganging up on me here 😂

Me and the teams scorer have invented a new stat for my kid. Every time she gets a Texas Leaguer I text him SH (Shi# Hit).

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Lol..it feels like the PP are ganging up on me here 😂

Me and the teams scorer have invented a new stat for my kid. Every time she gets a Texas Leaguer I text him SH (Shi# Hit).
The old baseball adage is that it's a line drive in the book...

Jun 8, 2016
The old baseball adage is that it's a line drive in the book...
I know the adage..that works when the person is already good enough to be in the show..She has a lot more SH than hard outs so the corollary that it evens out doesn’t hold here either.

My main point is I don't put too much stake in my 13YO kid's stats but instead the hypothetical (very..) if somebody came to watch her play (that knew what they were looking at) what would they see..

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I know the adage..that works when the person is already good enough to be in the show..She has a lot more SH than hard outs so the corollary that it evens out doesn’t hold here either.

My main point is I don't put too much stake in my 13YO kid's stats but instead the hypothetical (very..) if somebody came to watch her play (that knew what they were looking at) what would they see..
I don't put a lot of faith in my daughter's stats, either. I'm not an advanced stat guy. I couldn't even tell you the value of OPS, let alone FIP, and the fact these stats now rule the game drives me nuts.

If you asked me to evaluate my younger daughter, here's what I'd say. Throws very hard and heavy. Hits the ball to all fields with power, and she rarely gets fooled on pitches. Can't run worth a damn, but she's a smart base runner who knows her limits. Fields her position well for a big girl. If properly motivated, she could be great. Upside is huge, with potential to hit 66-67 on the gun.

The key take is that she needs motivation. At 16 going on 17, is it too late? The old refrain she used when she was younger was, "Well, I'm only in 8th grade" doesn't work anymore. Wasted potential is something I fear for her. If I could combine my older daughter's drive with my younger daughter's natural ability, she'd already be committed to a P5 school.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't put a lot of faith in my daughter's stats, either. I'm not an advanced stat guy. I couldn't even tell you the value of OPS, let alone FIP, and the fact these stats now rule the game drives me nuts.

If you asked me to evaluate my younger daughter, here's what I'd say. Throws very hard and heavy. Hits the ball to all fields with power, and she rarely gets fooled on pitches. Can't run worth a damn, but she's a smart base runner who knows her limits. Fields her position well for a big girl. If properly motivated, she could be great. Upside is huge, with potential to hit 66-67 on the gun.

The key take is that she needs motivation. At 16 going on 17, is it too late? The old refrain she used when she was younger was, "Well, I'm only in 8th grade" doesn't work anymore. Wasted potential is something I fear for her. If I could combine my older daughter's drive with my younger daughter's natural ability, she'd already be committed to a P5 school.
Lol..you must have seen my scouting report before I deleted it :ROFLMAO:

Jan 1, 2023
There are lies, damn lies, and stats.

My 12-DD went to a much better team playing much better competition and all her stats improved except Ks, which were down 0.4K an inning (1.8 to 1.4 per inning).

But you have to take stats with a grain of salt. It will be interesting to see how much Jordy Bahl’s stats suffer, or if they do, at Nebraska.

May 27, 2013
I feel this is one reason why you want to play for a very good travel program if you are trying to be recruited - especially D1. The team behind the pitcher and her catcher can make her look really, really good or just ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles