I need a "bracket" pitcher? What exactly does that mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I don’t sit on a bucket either. I don’t wear gear, though. I just use a fielders mask and soccer shin guards and pray.

Please don't do this. At least get a proper mask. You need something that is going to provide throat protection. A fielder's mask does not do this. This is why NFHS requires any player warming up a pitcher to wear a proper catcher's mask, not a fielder's mask and not a batting helmet.

As an umpire with proper throat protection I have still taken one to the throat and seen several more which were much worse than mine.

I don't know, aren't most catchers starting with their glove in the dirt and trying to frame pitches these days? I can't imagine my target is any worse than that.

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

NOT FRAMING.

These guys are acting like a bucket catcher can’t show a low target or a high target. They seem to imagine the bucket catcher just showing one target in the high middle of the zone. Do they think Montana Fouts’ dad didn’t catch her sitting on a bucket?

While I made comments on the target, it is more about safety. I have no idea if he did or did not. I also know plenty of people who have never been in a car crash and still wear their seatbelt.

Oct 14, 2019
Please don't do this. At least get a proper mask. You need something that is going to provide throat protection. A fielder's mask does not do this. This is why NFHS requires any player warming up a pitcher to wear a proper catcher's mask, not a fielder's mask and not a batting helmet.

As an umpire with proper throat protection I have still taken one to the throat and seen several more which were much worse than mine.

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

NOT FRAMING.

While I made comments on the target, it is more about safety. I have no idea if he did or did not. I also know plenty of people who have never been in a car crash and still wear their seatbelt.
Obviously, no one is going to bucket catch with a batter in the box taking swings or without a glove like an umpire. But sure, it’s just like getting in a car crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles