Parent pitchers question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah sometimes I forget how lousy B (or lower) 12U can be even though once in a while DD's 14U team looks like a Benny Hill show out there..

In a pool game in our last tourney (Legacy in Atlanta) we looked like a rec team. I was chatting with someone and looked up and said "How did the ball get in Center Field?"

I think we even made two errors on one play. Luckily they played better come bracket time.

Jun 8, 2016
In a pool game in our last tourney (Legacy in Atlanta) we looked like a rec team. I was chatting with someone and looked up and said "How did the ball get in Center Field?"

I think we even made two errors on one play. Luckily they played better come bracket time.
Best DD's team had this year was a bunt which nobody wanted (mistake one) and then when it was picked up and fired to first (late) the kid on first realized that nobody was near 2B (mistake 2) so she took off. The kid who had the ball (2B) then decided to fire it to the Ghost of Xmas Past standing on 2B (mistake 3) and the ball ended up against the LF fence. I may or may not have smashed a styrofoam cup after that..(mistake 4)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter's WHIP is up by about half a run from last summer. Her Ks are down, too, but her unearned run percentage is also down.

The biggest attributing factor is the competition we've faced. Last year playing at 16U, we were in the supplemental pools, not the power pools. The competition was more regional than national. She's a second-year 16U playing with mostly first-year 16U players, but they're much better offensively and defensively. For example, the two catchers allowed 27 passed balls in 41 games last year. This year, the three catchers have allowed a total of 8 passed balls in 39 games.

May 27, 2013
I think what playing for the “better” team does for a pitcher is that the plays that “should” be made will almost always get made and some really good plays will be made, as well - like diving catches in the OF, the little bloop in no-man’s land will get caught, runner will get thrown out at home from the OF, etc. All of those plays can definitely make a difference in a pitcher’s ERA.

Oct 4, 2018
I like the FIP stat on GC to help me see how a pitcher has been performing.

I can't really get my head around FIP. My DD gives up a fair share of HRs. Not many, but they happen. I tell her just keep them to solo shots and you're fine. Message really is to keep runners off base, no walks, etc. I don't want a solo shot to destroy her confidence.

The formula is just kind of bonkers (to me):

(13*HR+3*(HBP+BB)-2*K)/IP

May 17, 2012
I can't really get my head around FIP. My DD gives up a fair share of HRs. Not many, but they happen. I tell her just keep them to solo shots and you're fine. Message really is to keep runners off base, no walks, etc. I don't want a solo shot to destroy her confidence.

I love FIP as a stat so much. ERA is the worst....

Jan 20, 2023

My daughter went in in the last inning of a game this weekend and her FIP was -2.3

But she also had a kid hit a “triple” off her. I don’t think at 14u with the little fence a triple should even be an option. There have to be a lot of errors for someone to get to third keeping it inside the little fence.

Jun 18, 2023

the idea is that all those stats there in that formula are things that are a direct result of the pitcher's pitch, whereas a simple 4-3 putout versus a single is that the ball was three inches to the left and/or the fielder couldn't get there. But the thing the pitcher did for a 4-3 putout and a single are pretty much the same, so she should get neither credit nor demerits for it.

I don't know how much real value it has for softball, especially lower levels of it. You'd have to know what a "good" FIP is versus a bad one, and that's all dependent on the BABIP (batting average on balls in play) of the league, which could vary wildly. (in MLB, a tick under three in ten balls that are put in play becomes hits. Shifting maybe shifts this a little, but not much. So how much a pitcher deviates from 3/10 hits per 10 BABIP is generally just considered luck.

Oct 4, 2018
the idea is that all those stats there in that formula are things that are a direct result of the pitcher's pitch, whereas a simple 4-3 putout versus a single is that the ball was three inches to the left and/or the fielder couldn't get there. But the thing the pitcher did for a 4-3 putout and a single are pretty much the same, so she should get neither credit nor demerits for it.

I don't know how much real value it has for softball, especially lower levels of it. You'd have to know what a "good" FIP is versus a bad one, and that's all dependent on the BABIP (batting average on balls in play) of the league, which could vary wildly. (in MLB, a tick under three in ten balls that are put in play becomes hits. Shifting maybe shifts this a little, but not much. So how much a pitcher deviates from 3/10 hits per 10 BABIP is generally just considered luck.

Yeah, I get that it's isolating just the pitcher parts. But why are HR multiplied by 13 and walks by 3. Maybe if HR was 12 (one run scores) and walks are 3 (4 walks makes one run score). I dunno. Just seems odd.

And then when I see that it's 2.3, well what does that mean? Like you said, need to know what to compare it to.

ERA at least I have a concept. Averaging 5 runs per game is not good. ERA of 1 is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid