Not sure if he really knows the game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
HS coaches of ANY SPORT are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. I know a few good HS coaches and about 100 HS idiots. That's why I always warn parents that HS is nothing like competitive ball, only in very rare instances it might come close.

The sad part is that the 100 HS idiots rarely do anything to get better.....most have an "entitlement" mentality.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/18346-does-your-hs-talk-local-tb-coaches.html

Jul 26, 2010
The difference is that rec ball and travel ball get to pick from people who are available after 5pm.

High school gets to pick from a much more limited group of people who are available after 3pm. Slim.

-W

Feb 26, 2013
No coach has a call for a fastball over the plate, so that story is suspect. Like I said the parents need to get perspective even if a coach made a mistake. If you want to be the coach, apply, because schools are always looking for coaches especially at MS level. The pay stinks, that's why and the job is in the middle of the day. I would guess the parent first would not qualify to coach, and would make many mistakes him or herself.

Yelling at a kid is never appropriate. But that would be dealt with by calling the coach's boss.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The difference is that rec ball and travel ball get to pick from people who are available after 5pm.

High school gets to pick from a much more limited group of people who are available after 3pm. Slim.

-W

I understand that not every HS coach is going to be a great fastpitch coach, but the frustrating part for me is that instead of seeking assistant coaches who add value, they get "yes men/women" who will not undermine their authority.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...Yelling at a kid is never appropriate. But that would be dealt with by calling the coach's boss.

Agree that yelling at a kid could be dealt with by moving the issue up the chain of command.

However, if it crosses the line to verbal and mental abuse it will not be tolerated and will be addressed immediately and decisively.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I understand that not every HS coach is going to be a great fastpitch coach, but the frustrating part for me is that instead of seeking assistant coaches who add value, they get "yes men/women" who will not undermine their authority.

Then again, a good AC will offer suggestions to the HC and a good HC will take them under advisement. Ultimately though, it's the HC's call and they should support the decision right or wrong in front of the team. If they want to have a disagreement over something, they should do it away from the field and preferably, over an ice cold adult beverage.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
See most of y'all are way to nice. Yell at my daughter for anything from across the field back to the dug out until she cries....you will be shopping for new teeth or a pack of Chicklet gum to fill in the spaces. Game time is play time, practice is instructional coaching time. Save the loud voice for practice but even then I would not tolerate the way the above coach acted.

My child will not be bullied especially by an adult. I am getting pissed the more I think about this.

Jul 26, 2010
This is what my daughter showed me. This was given to her by one of the seniors on the team. The upper classman said that another player gave it to her a few years back:

----

Do you remember why you play?
or has it been too long?
Is it because you've worked so hard?
Or because you love being part of a team?
Do you love the roar of the crowd?
Or the anxiety before the game?
Do you play because you don't want to let anybody down?
Or do you play because you don't want to let yourself down?
Is it because you love the sound of a perfect hit
Or because you would rather be on this field
Than anywhere else in the world?
SOMEWHERE
Between the athlete you've become
The hours of practice
The teammates who've believed in you
The coaches you've hated
The fans who cheer you on
And the YEARS of blood, sweat, and tears you have put into this spoort
Is the little girl who picked up the ball,
Fell in love with the game,
And never looked back.

Play for her.

------------------------

-W

Jan 25, 2011
No coach has a call for a fastball over the plate, so that story is suspect. Like I said the parents need to get perspective even if a coach made a mistake. If you want to be the coach, apply, because schools are always looking for coaches especially at MS level. The pay stinks, that's why and the job is in the middle of the day. I would guess the parent first would not qualify to coach, and would make many mistakes him or herself.

Yelling at a kid is never appropriate. But that would be dealt with by calling the coach's boss.
Are you a parent? If so then by your own post, you would not qualify. At least you agree that yelling at a kid is never appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.