Missing Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
It's very important to put your kid on a team where the other girls are aligned with her commitment to softball. If your DD is a "multi sport athlete" (I laugh at that as a side note) then she needs to be on a team where missing practices is okay and not frowned upon. But if she is on a team where all girls are in 100% than missing practices is seen as unacceptable. Having them on the proper team that matches the commitment level is paramount to development and prevention of drama.
What are you laughing at?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Since I had the least useful post I will explain my position.

You will see DD at 95 - 100 percent of your practices and because of that if she wants to go to Jill’s birthday party instead of practice I am all for it. Your policy would have me calling you and lying. I am probably off base here so I will quit this thread.
Think you make a valid point.
If its within attendance policy to, on rare occaision, miss practice
The reason for missing a practice shouldnt matter.

Apr 28, 2014
Care to explain why that is funny to you? If instead you are laughing at the thought that multi-sport athletes make better softball players than I can see your point maybe.

See my post from a few minutes ago. Just my experience, YRMV

Jun 20, 2015
when time is set to be at field at time X to warm up for games, @ x + 1 sec, the batting order and starting line up are made out. If player is late, she get added as EH and sit the bench to start the game.

Oct 10, 2018
I would ask coaches what ever you choose stick with it. First year of middle school ball DD had to miss 1 of 3 practices each week for her pitching lesson. Coach knew, from the beginning, and knew this was for the benefit of the school team as she doesn't pitch TB, and that she had TB practice also during the week and would work her skills there. *He was fine with it*, made her a co-captain and two weeks later pulled her captainship using the excuse, "I only wanted one 7th grader co-captain". She was humiliated in front of the whole school. One nasty teammate wrote an English paper on it (captains should attend all practices) that was read to the class and became a second slap in the face (luckily the team thought this was an awful thing to do and she was persona-non-grata with the entire grade after that). DD took it like a champ, still pitched and on this crappy team she was the difference, if she played they won, if she didn't they lost. She didn't use that against him, never said a word. Crappy but another good life lesson softball taught her. Life isn't always fair, people in power are going to do crappy things, but you do what's best for the group. They went on to be the most successful school team that year and she got shout outs on morning announcements every morning after a game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Miss practice if your sick...is different than...
Missing practice because your planning to do something else.
If your planning to do something else,
please let the coach know ahead of time...
So they can start training another player to fill that spot come game time.

Oct 10, 2018
Add one more post - sorry! in 10U DD and her best friend/teammate wanted to skip practice b/c it was HOT and jump in the pool and goof off. They made a big stink so I said, fine. But I saw the coach in the pick up line at school and told him see you soon, so he knew something was up. The next game DD (the starting pitcher) and her friend sat. The game was going really badly for us. Parents were like - what's going on get 1st pitcher in the game! He said don't worry about it and ignored all the evil eyes he was getting. They lost. He never said a word to DD, and at first I was furious and didn't realize what was going on. But then it hit me. She and I had a long talk about it, she's never missed a practice since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC