Missing Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2013
What are your policies/thoughts on kids missing practice for other sports? During the fall/winter, we were very open to them missing practice/games for other sports... I mean, they are kids. However, it is now softball season and I think we need to tighten up our attendance policy.

What are your team's policies on missing practices or games during prime softball season?

Depends, I had a girl playing select volleyball that was really good, like going to Europe by invitation to play in an international competition for ten days good, she plays volleyball year round. The deal was that she would make as many practices as she could and her priorities were in this order: volleyball tournaments, softball tournament/games, volleyball practice, softball practice. This was rec as well as All Stars, she was easily one of the top 3 players in our league and could have played on any travel softball team she wanted in the city at 11 she was hitting home runs and our #1 pitcher.

I think as long as everyone is up front at the beginning of the season it is at that point you make a decision that as a organization you are OK with it or not then stick to that for the season. If everyone on the team understands softball is priority number one then that should be the policy and they should be no excuses for missing practices or games and if you can not commit then you are not on the team. Again communication is the key.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think we need to tighten up our attendance policy.

What is your attendance policy?

It can be whatever the coach or team wants it to be, but it's important to establish it is early on. Parents/players should know the rules before practices begin. Shouldn't be much tightening or loosening, just following, imo.

For the last team that I was head coach, I allowed players to miss my practices for school sports, and rec sports if it was in the winter. It was 12U, and my philosophy that softball shouldn't dominate their lives, that playing other sports was good. I didn't have any year-round athletes from other sports. If I did, I would take DC's advice above.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
In season (January-August), these are our team rules:

Any player missing practice must notify the head coach (me) via email (no texts) beforehand with a valid reason. Valid reasons include school events, injury, sickness, church, important family events.

If a player misses a practice "unexcused", she runs laps at the next practice. Missing more than one practice will result in one game on the bench that weekend for each practice missed.

Multiple unexcused absences can result in dismissal from the team. This would be pretty extreme and I've not come close to exercising this rule yet, but it's likely those players will not be invited to tryouts next season.

Jan 12, 2013
Our attendance policy is that 1. we need to know in advance 2. Fall/Winter- other sport events, illness, school activities etc are excusable. Spring/Summer- Softball is number 1 priority.

Just making sure it is not too harsh. Obviously the kids are young, however if they weren't serious about the sport, they could play rec. Plus we were very understanding when they missed practices and games for other sports in the fall or winter. But now its softball time...:)

We had a meeting in the fall about our policies for fall/winter. Next weekend we have a meeting regarding policies for spring/summer. That's why I am asking for other's advice and opinions. Thanks!!

Our attendance policy is that 1. we need to know in advance 2. Fall/Winter- other sport events, illness, school activities etc are excusable. Spring/Summer- Softball is number 1 priority.

Just making sure it is not too harsh. Obviously the kids are young, however if they weren't serious about the sport, they could play rec. Plus we were very understanding when they missed practices and games for other sports in the fall or winter. But now its softball time...:)

We had a meeting in the fall about our policies for fall/winter. Next weekend we have a meeting regarding policies for spring/summer. That's why I am asking for other's advice and opinions. Thanks!!

I think that is fair enough, again at the meeting just remind them fall/winter we made allowances since softball was not in season. Now that it is softball time the expectation is that girls will be at every practice and game and prior notice is always required, then let them know they can approach you with their specific questions concerning their kid if there are any.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Since I had the least useful post I will explain my position.

You will see DD at 95 - 100 percent of your practices and because of that if she wants to go to Jill’s birthday party instead of practice I am all for it. Your policy would have me calling you and lying. I am probably off base here so I will quit this thread.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I really never had "rules" for missing practice just for Qunicy's reason, and believe me some parents will do this all day long (heck even in High School I see it all the time), all I would ask is that they let me know as far in advance as possible because I could change the practice plan.

Also, what happens when it's the parent's fault and not the player's (since they can't drive)? There has been a few times I have been called by the player and said, "Coach, I can't get ahold of my parents and they aren't here yet but I'm ready".

Dec 7, 2011
What are your policies/thoughts on kids missing practice for other sports? During the fall/winter, we were very open to them missing practice/games for other sports... I mean, they are kids. However, it is now softball season and I think we need to tighten up our attendance policy.

What are your team's policies on missing practices or games during prime softball season?

Not enough information to help.

What level is this?

then,

What are you spoken & written expectations?

Back when DD was young & in LL we would just "make-do" with subs and begging to parents. In contrast in TB-A at older levels I would expect up front exacting expectations understood (from the coaches to parents & players) and heavy penalites to be paid by the players when they miss.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA