Mandatory Face Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
My TB team is playing a team somewhat in the area on Saturday. My DD does not wear a face mask and generally plays SS/CF. She is aware of the dangers, shown her all the information and risks but she does not like wearing the face masks at all. Where we are playing on Saturday requires ALL players to wear a mask or a mouth guard. You must wear them at ALL times. We are at the 14U level for TB so I can understand requesting that your pitcher and corners wear a mask/guard, but all the players, even the outfielders, seems a bit extreme. Now here is the funny part, if you show up and do not have a mouth guard or face mask, they sell them there. I understand that face masks are for safety and I understand the risk, but much like red light cameras this seems to be an idea about safety and turned into making money. Does that make sense or am I just being over protective of DD?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We are getting a mouth piece for that game only, but they really seem to be more interested in making money then anything else.

Might be a field usage liability requirement imposed by a town. Simply boycott the tournament if you are that philosophically opposed and search the internetz to see when the Orthodontia Anonymous Big Sticks and Broken Smiles traveling tournament comes to an area near you.

Mar 31, 2013
Chicago
Because of safety we are implementing the following safety rule at ***** this year:

All defensive players must wear a face- mask, or mouth guard while playing or warming up at any of our games. This excludes catchers who already have a face- mask on their helmet on their helmet.
If your player does not have either a mouth guard or face-mask they will be available for purchase at the concession stand. Failure to comply with this rule will stop the action when discovered, and the player(s) must get one and use it. Failure to comply after this first warning will result in the player(s) being disqualified for the remainder of the game.
This is being implemented to proactively improve player safety.
This rule applies to all activities at ***** as a safety and liability issue.

How exactly is that a liability issue? Every team that has players sign up must, A, have their own insurance per the alphabet organizations, and B, every team has a waiver everyone signs when you sign up for a team.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Because of safety we are implementing the following safety rule at ***** this year:

All defensive players must wear a face- mask, or mouth guard while playing or warming up at any of our games. This excludes catchers who already have a face- mask on their helmet on their helmet.
If your player does not have either a mouth guard or face-mask they will be available for purchase at the concession stand. Failure to comply with this rule will stop the action when discovered, and the player(s) must get one and use it. Failure to comply after this first warning will result in the player(s) being disqualified for the remainder of the game.
This is being implemented to proactively improve player safety.
This rule applies to all activities at ***** as a safety and liability issue.

How exactly is that a liability issue? Every team that has players sign up must, A, have their own insurance per the alphabet organizations, and B, every team has a waiver everyone signs when you sign up for a team.

Who owns the field and who is running the tournament? I'm guessing a TB team using public fields and that the policy quoted is the town's being passed on by the TB team. And don't think that just because someone signs a waiver that it doesn't mean that they still can't sue you! Now if they're charging $20 for a mouthguard and $100 for a fielder's face mask, you know its a money grab.

Apr 13, 2013
I am back to I do not care, clouts DD has been to the emergency room because of softball. We are in a position that DD does not need the ASA coverage but it needed.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't think that a mouth guard helps at all. I got a picture this week of the mask my niece's pitcher had on. She got line drived and it bent the mask enough to give her a fat lip. They hesitate to think what would have happened without the mask.

How much are the masks? $50.00 will get you one at Dicks. How are you suppose to fit a mouth guard at a tournament?

Just yesterday, I was saying to a dad that was catching my lesson, that I wasn't going to bat, because he didn't have on a mask. 3 pitches later, a high fast ball tipped off the brim of his hat and blacked his eye. I am going to start offering all catchers a mask and I encourage my pitchers to wear one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd