Extending safety of players discussion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That's a new one. Who knew they would be a hot item.
Seriously, right? The area where that particular complex was located had a lot against it. You wouldn't go there after the lights went off for fear of crime. Also, it was located about a mile from the town dump, so if the wind was out of the north, you were blessed with the rotting garbage's pungent aroma.

I don't miss playing there...

Jun 8, 2016
You play in OK, TX or much of the Southeast in July/Aug and you pretty much should expect the heat indices to be around 100 or higher 😒

110 heat index here today. Days like today I am glad I have a backyard cage 15 ft from the AC..(kids will hit 25 balls and go inside for a bit while I pick up the balls 😂)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Back in 2011, DD's 2nd Summer All star season it was brutally hot. Very similar to this summer. I was thinking, is this what we are gonna be doing every summer? I nearly passed out after throwing front toss. Luckily it never got hot like that every summer while DD was playing.

Similarities between 2011 and 2023. There was a high pressure dome that camped out over the Texas area for a month which is the very same weather pattern as this year. But yeah, it's summer and it's gonna be hot! I would rather be in 102 with low humidity than 95 and high humidity.

Apr 1, 2017
But yeah, it's summer and it's gonna be hot! I would rather be in 102 with low humidity than 95 and high humidity.
My son goes to school at ASU. He now prefers Tempe and 105, over Illinois 88 and humid. Much prefers the January temps in Tempe too......

That's why my earlier Florida post was more about the schedule, than the actual heat. No choice but to play in the heat and/or humidity for a decent chunk of the country, but setting up tournaments with 5 games in a single day in those conditions.......

Covered/shaded dugouts go a long way too. Give the players a little bit of a break when they come off the field.

Jun 18, 2023
We pulled a team for lightning last year. My tolerance is much less than those in charge of trying to keep schedules uninterrupted.

This is why lightning alarms exist in a lot/most places right? It's legit dangerous and there should be no doubt that the game is suspended if the alarm goes up. Sans an alarm, chances are if you can see lightning you shouldn't be outside holding metal bats above your head and leaning on metal fences.

Jul 11, 2023
This is why lightning alarms exist in a lot/most places right? It's legit dangerous and there should be no doubt that the game is suspended if the alarm goes up. Sans an alarm, chances are if you can see lightning you shouldn't be outside holding metal bats above your head and leaning on metal fences.
You would think. I use RadarScope and it estimated lightning was within 5 miles. That's more than enough for me.

Jun 18, 2023
yeah I usually fire up lightningmaps.org we had a storm on the fringes during our first game back on July first. never rained by us but the storm circled us about 20 miles away. Umpire wouldn't start the game until 30 minutes without thunder. (apparently our lightning alarm is broken, hopefully someone's on that..)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles