Coach, do your pitchers wear masks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My suspicions were right. A bone headed Neanderthal coach didn't like the mask.

Can't believe people with such poor people skills can be hired as college coaches.
DD was happy with her original college coach. Not so happy with her replacement... Coaching turnover at the college level is very real. I would love to know the percentage of athletes that actually play for the same coach all 4 years. It would be an interesting case study. We knew from day 1 that there was a chance DD would experience a coaching change as well. We just had no way of predicting how it would go.

Mar 10, 2020
Unfortunately in DD's case it was due to a coaching change. Her coach during her freshman and sophomore years was fine with the mask. Our crystal ball was a bit cloudy as we didn't realize there would be a coaching change that resulted in the hiring of an anti-mask coach. We knew it was always a possibility. I guess she could have transferred to a different college, but she didn't want to do that.

I do agree that it is something players should consider before making a commitment. It's just that sometimes things happen that are outside of their control.
Predicament of change. The coaching turnover may be outside of the players control but the decision to wear a mask is still within player control. In this day and age the blow up in the face of the college coach to not allow a mask would be heard by millions. Of course the player would have to take on the assertion to make it known.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Predicament of change. The coaching turnover may be outside of the players control but the decision to wear a mask is still within player control. In this day and age the blow up in the face of the college coach to not allow a mask would be heard by millions. Of course the player would have to take on the assertion to make it known.
There is hope. It is going to take time and ADs that make good hires.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I just don't get it. Why would a coach be against a fielding mask? Would they ever object to the elbow guard saying it restricts motion? A shin/foot guard saying it slows down your running? A batting helmet cage for the same reason as a fielding mask? Would a baseball coach object to a cup saying it impedes running? Just seems like thought processes aren't carried all the way through.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
At the point in time this all happened, she was already contemplating leaving the team. She decided to stick it out for one season and then decided to walk away. We supported her decision.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is hope. It is going to take time and ADs that make good hires.
The decision to wear a mask may be within players control but if the coach has made it clear he or she doesn't like them ( because it makes you look weak or timid) many players would be intimidated into taking their mask off. I have to believe this is not the only character flaw and lack of judgement these type of coaches have.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Coach 12u. I require P and all infielders to wear a mask and highly encourage outfielders to wear them as well. This isn't hockey wear mangled faces and missing teeth are badges of honor. Accidents happen and they can last a lifetime. Plus it makes them more confident going after hard hit balls.

Oct 4, 2018
Coach 12u. I require P and all infielders to wear a mask and highly encourage outfielders to wear them as well. This isn't hockey wear mangled faces and missing teeth are badges of honor. Accidents happen and they can last a lifetime. Plus it makes them more confident going after hard hit balls.

... and a small little added benefit. If your player gets hit in the face without a mask on you are down a player. Potentially for a long time. I've seen girls take amazing shots off the face and be back playing in 10 minutes (if they had a mask on).

One pitcher got hit so hard that the center fielder caught the ball for an out. Wish I had that on video.

Nov 18, 2013
I cringe when I hear parents and coaches put girls back in after a shots to the face. A mask will help prevent facial injuries, but they do next to nothing for concussions.

I’m not a fan of masks as confidence builders either. Wear the mask, but build confidence by teaching them some defense. I picture a 3B charging a bunt thinking they’re invincible because they have a mask only to get drilled when the hitter draws back and swings away. That could happen to a skilled player too of course, but at least she’d have better situational awareness and a better chance at protecting herself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28