Managing Multi-Sport Athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Bench the player?

• Bench them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Let them play.

Votes: 24 100.0%

• Total voters
May 22, 2023
The Texas Hs softball season is in the spring. Some will play "fall ball" but it is typically coached by parents. I'm talking public school. Private school could be different.
This is player is playing Jr. High softball in Texas. The UIL season is in the fall, and the team is coached by the varsity high school coach.

Aug 5, 2022
We would have quit your team immediately if you punished my player for missing practices. Travel practice shouldn’t even be during the week in my opinion. My kiddo played 12 varsity seasons of 3 different sports in high school and high high level travel ball and is now a freshman in the sec. This was possible because of supportive adults on both sides of the equation. Don’t be that guy that makes a kid choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 22, 2023
I think I should clarify that I'm not a fan of penalizing the player. I'm an assistant, and the head coach and other assistant have a different viewpoint. I've discussed the issue, and we've agreed to disagree. We have a good enough relationship to be able to do that and continue to work together. I'm interested in hearing other perspectives.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Here's the problem.TB player (starting 1st baseman/power hitter) misses first two pool games of major tourney due to flag football game. Team wins both games. She shows up next day for final pool game. Do you start her? What if team lost first two games? What if her replacement was 4 for 7 in first two games? What if she was 1 for 7? Decision, decision.
Personally, I wouldn't start her but would would find a spot to sub her in around 3rd inning.
Is it fair to play the two sport player over the player that never misses practice or games.
What about Homecoming or Prom? Can players miss morning games due to Homecoming that starts at 7 pm. I know there is hair, photos, ect. What time would you be comfortable excusing the Homecoming Queen?
Nobody said it was easy.

May 22, 2023
Here's the problem.TB player (starting 1st baseman/power hitter) misses first two pool games of major tourney due to flag football game. Team wins both games. She shows up next day for final pool game. Do you start her? What if team lost first two games? What if her replacement was 4 for 7 in first two games? What if she was 1 for 7? Decision, decision.
Personally, I wouldn't start her but would would find a spot to sub her in around 3rd inning.
Is it fair to play the two sport player over the player that never misses practice or games.
What about Homecoming or Prom? Can players miss morning games due to Homecoming that starts at 7 pm. I know there is hair, photos, ect. What time would you be comfortable excusing the Homecoming Queen?
Nobody said it was easy.
This was the main counter point our other coaches had, which is a legitimate concern. We also agreed that it would likely be handled differently at the high school level (the team would likely take that time mostly off to reduce conflict.)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I don't ever recall there being a Middle School softball season in the fall in Texas. HS has kind of "silly season" on Monday nights where a parent would be the coach. In reality this situation the OP has brought up is temporary. Why does the coach feel the need to flex on this? The season will be short and it will be over soon enough. When the kid cannot control their schedule, they should not be punished. The should be happy they are engaged. If this kid gets punished, the parents have every right to find a new team and this could be very well be a reason a kid in this situation just says screw it and quits softball altogether. Tread lightly.

Aug 5, 2022
Nobody said it was easy.

You get to feel that way. The player gets to find a different team. DD didn’t play for a coach that was willing to lose her over a flex like this thank goodness. We were up front with every coach about what our priorities were. Play kids based on what their on field performance has earned. Reality some kids really can do it all just like some kids can get an A without studying. We don’t take the A away because they didn’t put in the same three hours with the text book and if the rest of the team thinks it’s unfair tell them to work harder to be better because if they’re really as deserving as they think they are then they should be able to be better than a kid who’s missing such valuable time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I've encountered a situation that affects several of my players.
What you have encountered is a disagreement that affects your coaching staff.
The repercussions of what is implemented can then affect the entire team. Not just those few players. Because you are setting a team standard. Additionally it could affect your future Seasons because the standard you decide to implement could make future people decide not to join the team!

Think it through Choose Wisely

May 27, 2013
We ran into a situation where it was actually the other parents who had issues, not the coaches. When dd played 14U SB she also tried out for the CYO volleyball team. We were upfront with those coaches that her softball TB games came first so if there was a conflict, SB would take priority. We gave them her game schedule and it worked out where she would only miss a couple of the VB games over the course of the entire fall. They decided to take her on the team. She made every VB team practIce.

Well, come to VB game time when the coaches put dd in even if she missed the first set of games the parents would get so angry. They also were annoyed because dd never played VB before but took to it very easily, and she was tall for her age which helped. Their kids also played travel VB so how dare the coaches start my dd over theirs.

So just word of advice to the coaches - it will usually be the BS from the griping parents that you will have to deal with if you allow kids to miss practices/games and then they start over other kids. I’m not saying don’t start them, but be prepared for a full season of backlash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalWood1013