questions\thoughts on a play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
To the OP …

The rulebook does not support you.

I do not support the rulebook on this. “The defense should know while the offense is allowed to be ignorant AND benefit from it” is one of the dumbest things ever said in the game.

However, them’s the rules.

As others have said though, do it on purpose or try it twice coach, and you will find a different end of the stick.
Hmmm 🤔 perhaps that should read offense and defense are allowed to be ignorant.
*imo that IS on them! Mental part of the game is part of the game!
(heck... 😏there is even a person standing on the field who's keeping track of balls, strikes and outs. Use the resource!)

What does the rule book say about people who are playing that don't know the rules?
... is there a caveat built into that?! LOL

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024
12U is generally very weak on fully understanding the dropped third strike rule. Batters are usually taught to just run anytime strike three hits the dirt with no regard for number of outs or if 1B is occupied. Runners usually have no clue that with two outs the batter always becomes a runner and they, if forced, those runners on base must run. Catchers usually do not know that if bases are loaded with two outs, all they need to do is step on the plate for out three. This rule presents a lot to think about for young players and correct reactions take a while to develop. Coaches of young players should focus heavily on these nuances of the game.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I missed where you had changed the play from a throw to first to being a throw from first back to the plate. In that situation now you have a basis for ruling interference.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
12U is generally very weak on fully understanding the dropped third strike rule...Coaches of young players should focus heavily on these nuances of the game.
It would be good for the game of softball for coaches at the younger levels to call out these situations frequently and loudly enough so everyone can hear. Makes the shenanigans look stupid. Also makes all the coaches learn the rule better.

May 29, 2015
Hmmm 🤔 perhaps that should read offense and defense are allowed to be ignorant.
*imo that IS on them! Mental part of the game is part of the game!
(heck... 😏there is even a person standing on the field who's keeping track of balls, strikes and outs. Use the resource!)

What does the rule book say about people who are playing that don't know the rules?
... is there a caveat built into that?! LOL

That the less they know, the louder they are?

As to your point about the offense and the defense, saying it is not enough. We had a lengthy thread here on the subject in the last few months. Personally, I would like to see the rule changed to kill the play and not let the offense benefit from the unintentional ignorance or the intentional shenanigans.

5wLeFh.gif

As far as using the umpire as a resource . . . well, that makes too much sense. Nobody listens to us as we stand there screaming "That was only two!" They are too busy playing air traffic controller with their voice-controlled 11-year old player.

Aug 22, 2023
12U is generally very weak on fully understanding the dropped third strike rule. Batters are usually taught to just run anytime strike three hits the dirt with no regard for number of outs or if 1B is occupied. Runners usually have no clue that with two outs the batter always becomes a runner and they, if forced, those runners on base must run. Catchers usually do not know that if bases are loaded with two outs, all they need to do is step on the plate for out three. This rule presents a lot to think about for young players and correct reactions take a while to develop. Coaches of young players should focus heavily on these nuances of the game.
Our recreational league's 18U commissioner, who is also a high school coach, would violently agree with the last sentence here.

Jan 1, 2024
Our recreational league's 18U commissioner, who is also a high school coach, would violently agree with the last sentence here.
By "young players", I mean middle school age and younger. Far too many players aging into high school have weak understanding of the rules of the game. I find it hard to believe that a rec league 18U commissioner/high school coach would prefer that players who are aging into his/her program bring with them poor or no understanding of rules. I submit there is a direct correlation between young players' lack of knowledge and the knowledge of their coaches. As kids grow, the learning of rules should accompany the learning of physical skills.

Aug 22, 2023
By "young players", I mean middle school age and younger. Far too many players aging into high school have weak understanding of the rules of the game. I find it hard to believe that a rec league 18U commissioner/high school coach would prefer that players who are aging into his/her program bring with them poor or no understanding of rules. I submit there is a direct correlation between young players' lack of knowledge and the knowledge of their coaches. As kids grow, the learning of rules should accompany the learning of physical skills.
I think you misunderstood me. I said she'd be in violent agreement with you about younger players (specifically 12U, actually) needing to be coached up on the rules of the game before they set foot on a high school field. That's her big emphasis in the league coaching clinic - make sure the kids know their situations and their rules, not just the fundamental skills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym