Umps...teach me about foul tips caught by the catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Technically neither a foul tip nor a fly ball caught in foul territory is a foul ball. The ball remains live in both cases. Runners do not have to tag up on a foul tip because it is not a fly ball. The pitcher is credited with a strike-out and, as with all strike-outs, the catcher is credited with the put-out.

My English teacher Spidey-Senses are tingling.

The batters shoulder? It's a dead ball if it hits the batter.

If it hit the catchers shoulder first without having first touched the catchers hand or glove directly off the bat it is a foul ball

I thought we had already done this . . . and I found it on page 1 . . .

Comp, I was enjoying some popcorn as the "answers" were coming out of the crevices of interesting places. You jumped in too quickly! ?

For that bolded part above . . . this incorporates some baseball into the conversation, but I think it is important as the average fan attempts to transfer rules back and forth . . . KNOW YOUR CODE. Not all codes require the ball to go to the hand or mitt. Some codes allow the ball to go sharply and directly to the catcher (e.g., hits off their chest protector) and still be caught. (No, I don't agree with those codes in practice, but they exist.)

Glove/hand: USA Softball, USSSA Softball, NCAA Softball, NFHS Softball, NFHS Baseball

Catcher: OBR (Major League Baseball), NCAA Baseball

May 17, 2023
The batters shoulder? It's a dead ball if it hits the batter.

If it hit the catchers shoulder first without having first touched the catchers hand or glove directly off the bat it is a foul ball

Thanks I was pretty sure they got that one wrong. But honestly I had never seen a batter foul it off themselves and up into the air.

Obviously wasn't the best bat path:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym