Less Travel teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
There are issues in different places with different associations without exception and it rarely has anything to do with the sanctioning body itself.

What starsnuffer says does have some merit. The ASA has traditionally been very slow to respond to the needs of JO softball over the years. That is why the Premier tournament was a big success last year and is working for a repeat this year. ASA announced the dates of their national tournaments after Premier announced theirs so they would not conflict with it. Because of the nudge from Premier the ASA has been moving quicker on some of the things that JO softball wants.

The one thing I wish they would do is ban composite bats. There is no place for them in the game. But that has to come from the rules meeting in the fall.

Nov 29, 2009
One thing I hear from the girls themselves is burnout. Actual quotes: "I just want to have a job" "I just want to have a weekend to hang out with my friends"; and from a top-notch home run hitter who is about 5'9", a senior in HS: "I can't wait for all this to be over, and I don't even want to play for a club team at college."

What you're hearing is the normal attrition of players as the demands of the sport grow. Playing a sport in college IS a job with a lot of demands for the player's time. Some girls just don't want/have to do it. For those who've made the sacrifices over the years it usually ends in tears after the last out of the last game of their college career. I know I saw tears after each one of those games while my daughter played college ball.

Jul 26, 2010
Really? And you know this how?

You really don't know, do you? Standard BS from someone who proclaims something is wrong or broken when s/he doesn't even know what that system is. Go figure!

There are issues in different places with different associations without exception and it rarely has anything to do with the sanctioning body itself.

You're kidding, right?

ASA membership is down, but participation in other sanctioning bodies is up. In the most recent issue of the ASA magazine, the presidents letter detailed as such, with the only plan being for regional directors to make it their job to increase membership. That isn't a plan, it's a goal.

In addition, most modern organizations have great web based tools for tournament management, registration, and every other bit of information needed. The ASA, on the other hand "is making enhancements" with guidance to "contact the regional director" for more information. That's a bit archaic and vague, IMHO.

I don't think tournament softball is hurting, but I do think the ASA is on decline. Softball sanctioning bodies are service organizations, they compete for OUR business, and OUR loyalty. We are the consumers giving them our hard earned money. No loyalty is owed on the part of the consumer, the service should provide a superior product at competitive prices in order to retain business.

-W

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You're kidding, right?

ASA membership is down, but participation in other sanctioning bodies is up. In the most recent issue of the ASA magazine, the presidents letter detailed as such, with the only plan being for regional directors to make it their job to increase membership. That isn't a plan, it's a goal.

In addition, most modern organizations have great web based tools for tournament management, registration, and every other bit of information needed. The ASA, on the other hand "is making enhancements" with guidance to "contact the regional director" for more information. That's a bit archaic and vague, IMHO.

I don't think tournament softball is hurting, but I do think the ASA is on decline. Softball sanctioning bodies are service organizations, they compete for OUR business, and OUR loyalty. We are the consumers giving them our hard earned money. No loyalty is owed on the part of the consumer, the service should provide a superior product at competitive prices in order to retain business.

-W

Well, there you go, a response that had nothing to do with my comment. And Sparky reminds us of how slow ASA is to react.

Are you familiar with the process? I mean the whole process, not just what you experience in your backyard?

Yeah, ASA seems to be slower than the "for profit" organizations. Then again, maybe that is because ASA is not a dictatorship and more of a representative republic than the US.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me people prefer puppetry over substance, same as the government they have installed.

Jan 31, 2011
Really? And you know this how?

You really don't know, do you? Standard BS from someone who proclaims something is wrong or broken when s/he doesn't even know what that system is. Go figure!

Sorry MTR, where I live the comment on ASA is accurate. You have state organization run by the same people for about 20 years & they refuse to change with the sport. USSSA is much better run. Tourney fees are about the same, but USSSA keeps points and is much more "friendly" to coaches. At some point ASA needs to recognize they only exist because of the players, not the other way around. I prefer to play "U-Trip".

Nov 29, 2009
Sorry MTR, where I live the comment on ASA is accurate. You have state organization run by the same people for about 20 years & they refuse to change with the sport. USSSA is much better run. Tourney fees are about the same, but USSSA keeps points and is much more "friendly" to coaches. At some point ASA needs to recognize they only exist because of the players, not the other way around. I prefer to play "U-Trip".

Around my area ASA is king for the top travel teams. USSSA may be run better, but the competition level is no where near what the ASA national qualifiers draw.

Premier is working at breaking ASA's stranglehold at the 18U and 16U levels, but overall ASA is still tops when you combine all the age levels. It's going to take a long time to break that way of thinking at the 10 - 14U levels.

ASA is still strong at 16U due to the "Get 'em committed early." recruiting philosophy with the college coaches. The 16U national tournament is always well attended by colleges. 18U Gold will always be attended by the college coaches.

Until the USSSA, NSA or any of the other alphabets out there can draw a vast majority of the best teams away from ASA things are not going to change too much.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry MTR, where I live the comment on ASA is accurate. You have state organization run by the same people for about 20 years & they refuse to change with the sport.

And back to my original comment that most troubles are not about the sanctioning body. You are referring to a local association. DO NOT confuse the two. That's like saying the mismanagement of the Detroit Lions is the fault of the entire NFL.

What you and many others have a difficult time figuring out is that ASA isn't just JO ball. It is tasked with all games for all ages for both genders at all levels. And let me tell you something you will not believe, but it is true, slow pitch pays the bills.

USSSA is much better run. Tourney fees are about the same, but USSSA keeps points and is much more "friendly" to coaches. At some point ASA needs to recognize they only exist because of the players, not the other way around. I prefer to play "U-Trip".

You're allowed, but that doesn't mean your opinion of others is accurate. BTW, I consider the other organizations a GAGA's with the priority on profit.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Historically:

The ASA in the early 1990s had an awful tournament system--the national tournament qualifiers and the nations were all double-elimination only with NO pool play. So...about 40% of the teams played 2 games and went home. It was pathetic. And, the ASA didn't care how much anyone complained about it, because "that is the way it was always done".

So, the NSA, AFA and USSSA stepped in and offered ASA alternatives.

The ASA countered with the 18U Gold classification and the amazing "Regional Nationals"...(Exactly how is a Northern Region tournament a national tournament? How about having an "Idaho National"? Or a Cook County National Tournament? But, I digress...)

Right now, there are a million daddy-daughter teams, and every daddy-daughter team thinks they are entitled to go to a "national" championship tournament. Because there is money to be made, ASA, NSA, USSSA, AFA, NAFA, IFA, RISE, started up there only tournament system. The *ONLY* reason these organizations exist is to collect registration fees from teams.

Mar 13, 2010
(Exactly how is a Northern Region tournament a national tournament? How about having an "Idaho National"? Or a Cook County National Tournament? But, I digress...)

Same way the 'World Series' only has teams from one country :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish