Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
You’re lucky you have a kid that knows what she wants to do career wise. Many of us don’t. Mine definitely didn’t when we were making our verbal commitment and I’m not sure she really knows now.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I imagine that a good amount of non-athletes also have no idea what they want to do / major in when they are applying to schools. I think many kids apply to college because it is what they have been raised to know as “the next logical step.” It’s also what high schools promote, in most cases.

I was a 1st gen college kid in my family. I honestly had no clue what all was involved and was envious of my friends who seemed to just “know” how the college process worked because their parents or siblings had gone before them. My parents pretty much left it up to me to figure out. All I knew was that I wanted a career where I could graduate in four years and make decent money so I could start my own life out of my parents’ home, and where I never had to worry about job security. I had no guidance whatsoever.

I feel with my own kids, there has always been that gentle push by DH and myself to at least study in a field that is growing and would allow for a variety of different career options upon graduation. We felt that a STEM major would best provide that opportunity for our kids. Be it grad school or working in their field immediately, there will be something there for them as they are already taking advantage of what the on-campus career centers have to offer. The career center and STEM clubs have been an invaluable resource to dd with helping her determine that what she “thought” she might want to do before college was indeed a great path to follow.

If your kid has no clue what they want to study and they are a freshman in college - have them make time to go to their college career center to talk with the staff there. Encourage them to also talk with their advisors. Those resources are there and want to help your kids with their journeys!

Aug 5, 2022
I imagine that a good amount of non-athletes also have no idea what they want to do / major in when they are applying to schools. I think many kids apply to college because it is what they have been raised to know as “the next logical step.” It’s also what high schools promote, in most cases.

I was a 1st gen college kid in my family. I honestly had no clue what all was involved and was envious of my friends who seemed to just “know” how the college process worked because their parents or siblings had gone before them. My parents pretty much left it up to me to figure out. All I knew was that I wanted a career where I could graduate in four years and make decent money so I could start my own life out of my parents’ home, and where I never had to worry about job security. I had no guidance whatsoever.

I feel with my own kids, there has always been that gentle push by DH and myself to at least study in a field that is growing and would allow for a variety of different career options upon graduation. We felt that a STEM major would best provide that opportunity for our kids. Be it grad school or working in their field immediately, there will be something there for them as they are already taking advantage of what the on-campus career centers have to offer. The career center and STEM clubs have been an invaluable resource to dd with helping her determine that what she “thought” she might want to do before college was indeed a great path to follow.

If your kid has no clue what they want to study and they are a freshman in college - have them make time to go to their college career center to talk with the staff there. Encourage them to also talk with their advisors. Those resources are there and want to help your kids with their journeys!

Thank you for your thoughts. I was one of those kids that always knew. My husband did something he thought would make money and it does but he hates every minute of it. She’s currently enjoying some marketing classes at high school and is planning to major in business but we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2021

I am sure just as many if not more non-athletes don’t know either. I know plenty of folks with useless degrees that are doing something they didn’t even need a degree for. I have told mine from the time she was old enough to know, I will not spend my money for a degree in something that has no future. IMO when you get out of college if you can’t say I am a _______. You probably wasted someone’s money and your time.

May 13, 2023
The Big Shiny Object

Hearing MORE of travel ball players who are putting in tons of work and have done so for five or more years, striving to go to college and play softball.
But yet some say they don't want to play softball in college unless they go D1.

Hmmm🤔
Seems if somebody really liked playing softball and their enjoyment was the sport of softball... it seems that to go to *any college and play softball at the same time would be achieving the goal. *regardless of division of the college.

So when I hear of these players that are saying they won't play softball in college unless they play D1. My consideration of that is the reason they are wanting to go to D1 is not because of softball. But because there's some status connected to D1.
* it's possible that their heart is NOT in softball???
* as much as it is they want that D1 status??? 🤷‍♀️

Maybe they are saying this because it's a way out of softball limiting their options by a potentially unrealistic goal and then tell themselves and their parents~ I'll go to college but no D1, no softball?? 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023
The Big Shiny Object

Hearing MORE of travel ball players who are putting in tons of work and have done so for five or more years, striving to go to college and play softball.
But yet some say they don't want to play softball in college unless they go D1.

Hmmm🤔
Seems if somebody really liked playing softball and their enjoyment was the sport of softball... it seems that to go to *any college and play softball at the same time would be achieving the goal. *regardless of division of the college.

So when I hear of these players that are saying they won't play softball in college unless they play D1. My consideration of that is the reason they are wanting to go to D1 is not because of softball. But because there's some status connected to D1.
* it's possible that their heart is NOT in softball???
* as much as it is they want that D1 status??? 🤷‍♀️

Maybe they are saying this because it's a way out of softball limiting their options by a potentially unrealistic goal and then tell themselves and their parents~ I'll go to college but no D1, no softball?? 🤷‍♀️
This is correct. We are right in the middle of recruiting cycle and hear it a lot. I was first floored by it but thought a while and remember these are teenage minds who are working for a challenging and public goal. Depending on level of club team, it is a social barometer of achievement. Like many things, social media has amplified this issue. Ofcourse it fades fast once kids play their last game for their club and looks forward and likely largely gone by first day on campus at whatever level they play.

This is not just a softball dynamic but D1 overall. It probably doesn’t help with the explosion of recruiting services and hefty promises for your money. This re-inforces the dynamic with a monetary cost parents are willing to pay for this ‘worth’.

With the growth of sport and advent of ESPN on demand, most all of D1 games are now available nationwide so kids are now on TV. Add this, the explosion of the private club ball and recruiting services -plus social media and….yup.

May 13, 2023
This is correct. We are right in the middle of recruiting cycle and hear it a lot. I was first floored by it but thought a while and remember these are teenage minds who are working for a challenging and public goal. Depending on level of club team, it is a social barometer of achievement. Like many things, social media has amplified this issue. Ofcourse it fades fast once kids play their last game for their club and looks forward and likely largely gone by first day on campus at whatever level they play.

This is not just a softball dynamic but D1 overall. It probably doesn’t help with the explosion of recruiting services and hefty promises for your money. This re-inforces the dynamic with a monetary cost parents are willing to pay for this ‘worth’.

With the growth of sport and advent of ESPN on demand, most all of D1 games are now available nationwide so kids are now on TV. Add this, the explosion of the private club ball and recruiting services -plus social media and….yup.
Ohhh like this
' social barometer of achievement'
👍

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles