Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
Don't do that. This is a discussion. You are entitled to your opinion. No one wins when members feel that they are being driven out of a thread. Heck, there are many of us, not referencing you, who try to convey their point, and for whatever reason, others don't understand the point. That is the problem with a message board and not being face-to-face. It is like telling everyone how good-looking I am. You can't appreciate it until you see it. :eek:
I'm well versed in the internet. And experience tells me that once you've missed your mark with some users, there is no path to recovery. The argument isn't worth it because you are never arguing the same point.

As a communicator, it's ultimately on me. I didn't get it done and it's time to just take my L and go home.

May 13, 2023
I understand Nuwin's point. They weren't trying to insult anyone that does this for a living. There are going to be people that are really good at making a living from this, but I think they were just pointing out that $60-$100/hr sounds like a lot of money, but if you don't have a consistent customer base it could be tough.
If you look at what a middle class income is (Motely Fool says, $55K-$90K/year) you would need to have about 17-18 lessons a week for 52 weeks to hit the bottom end of that at $60/hr. It's a good point. However, there are many that do this for a living and I am sure are successful.
I understand that. Coming down to the nitty gritty about earning money is part of the discussion. So I asked what dollar amount?

As you point out...
For a vast majority of people incomes will not be over 100,000 a year not even nearly that. To be an instructor able to make say two three or four times x's greater than a wage per hour j.o.b.
Could substantially make a difference.

Definitely understand the difficulties involved in having a full schedule doing lessons or filling in part-time income with lessons. Been there done that! I also definitely know that the income that I have gained from doing instruction has substantially supported my cost of living!

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
I'm well versed in the internet. And experience tells me that once you've missed your mark with some users, there is no path to recovery. The argument isn't worth it because you are never arguing the same point.

As a communicator, it's ultimately on me. I didn't get it done and it's time to just take my L and go home.
Nuwin, simply got to a discussion point of what Income Would Have Made Instruction substantial in your perspective 🤷‍♀️ definitely did not take it as an argument.

Perhaps it could be an income on the road for a player just out of college who needs some sort of income base while they're getting on their feet trying to get a good career job settled in?!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021
Nuwin, simply got to a discussion point of what Income Would Have Made Instruction substantial in your perspective 🤷‍♀️ definitely did not take it as an argument.

Perhaps it could be an income on the road for a player just out of college who needs some sort of income base while they're getting on their feet trying to get a good career job settled in?!
Agree that lessons can be a great supplemental income. I have been working with my DD, now 16, for the last 2 years to give pitching lessons to 8U and 10U girls just starting out. At one point in time she had 5 students and making about $40/hr which was enough money for her to take care of her own expenses and save a bit too. My plan with her is that she can continue to do this when she goes to college and it will be a more flexible way to earn pretty good money while in school.

May 27, 2013
I would agree that it would be difficult to make a living off of giving lessons, as well. Not saying it can’t be done - but would be very hard.

If you get your own place, you pay the mortgage, insurance, utilities, other employees’ salaries, etc. If you don’t own your own place, a certain percentage of your pay goes to the facility you either work for or rent space at. I imagine that things tend to slow down a bit over the spring/summer when HS and TB are in full-swing.

It definitely could be good money for a new college grad who still lives at home with their parents, but I would think it would be difficult to live comfortably off that income, alone, on your own.

Many facilities around here have in-house teams just to help support the business.

May 13, 2023
Agree that lessons can be a great supplemental income. I have been working with my DD, now 16, for the last 2 years to give pitching lessons to 8U and 10U girls just starting out. At one point in time she had 5 students and making about $40/hr which was enough money for her to take care of her own expenses and save a bit too. My plan with her is that she can continue to do this when she goes to college and it will be a more flexible way to earn pretty good money while in school.
Good for her! Like the planning!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pitching, hitting, and catching instructors charge between $60-$100 an hour in my area. I'd say that is pretty great.
60 bucks an hour while renting a lane for 20 bucks an hour with zero medical benefits or sick or vacation pay. Even a fully booked schedule is 6 hours a day. If they are paying their taxes correctly I would not call that great money.

May 13, 2023
60 bucks an hour while renting a lane for 20 bucks an hour with zero medical benefits or sick or vacation pay. Even a fully booked schedule is 6 hours a day. If they are paying their taxes correctly I would not call that great money.
Depends on what that's compared to.
Just saying, $40 an hour is better than quite a few other jobs. 🤷‍♀️

Now that I think of it one of my students mom has gone back to being a substitute teacher and she gets paid $25 an hour. 😕

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles