It's time for the off season talks to begin...what will you be doing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
DD was just diagnosed yesterday afternoon with an MCL sprain and patellar tendonitis. She has a huge knee brace that runs from her lower shin to mid thigh with four big straps, side plates and side rods that prevent everything except the hinge motion. She's supposed to continue physical therapy and lay off sports and PE at least through November.

Once the doctor clears her, we'll work her back into her team's off-season speed and agility training, winter practices, her hitting lessons, probably a few catching lessons and maybe start back up with Judo. We'll have to see what pace works for her. She loves softball, but I don't want her to re-injure herself.

Does anyone have suggestions for a younger teenager who can basically work core/upper body only for the coming month? I thought sit-ups, crunches, chin-ups, dips...

Aug 20, 2013
We are taking 1 hitting and one pitching lesson each week, 1 weekend pitching clinic with Bill Hillhouse, a 6 week pitching clinic(only Sundays) at a local college. We throw 3X a week and do fielding and hitting 1X per week on our own.

We are going to take a week off in Nov. and 2 weeks off in Dec. So hopefully our work will get us on the mound this season. Best of luck to all with your goals and hard work.

On another note, I am trying to work on me as well. I stress too much about situations, so I am scouring through the pages here on each thing that I worry over and look for a positive spin to put on it.

GG

DD was just diagnosed yesterday afternoon with an MCL sprain and patellar tendonitis.
Watch that patellar tendonitis like a hawk. It can be very difficult to get rid of as that particular tendon receives almost no blood flow and is very difficult to heal. She's obviously young so having it advance to tendinopathy doesn't seem likely but you need to make sure that not only do the symptoms reduce, but that she heals, as well.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm calling it "Improvement Season". For us, it's the end of Nov to the end of Feb. I'll be focusing on re-building my 9yo DD's swing (sequence and upper body), and catcher drills.

Sounds eerily similar to mine expect replace "catcher" with "pitcher".

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
i'm going to bribe little DD to get in the box against big DD (its scary what a few HBPs from your older sister can do to you psychologically) so she comes into the season a 4'1" 65 lb fearless beast of a hitter. So far I have gone up to 5 bucks per at bat but she is holding firm at 50. I'm going to us candy and clothes in our next negotiation.

Big DD will be learning to bend her elbow on the downswing of her pitch and she will learn to stop dropping her bat against live pitching.

Mom will learn the difference between a force out and a tag out (she's a mail order bride from Germany so she knows NOTHING, NOTHING- think of Schultz from Hogan's Heroes- about softball)

I will lose 30 lbs so I can set a good example on physical fitness and stop falling over when I put on my shoes. DW recently got me pants with a stretchy waistband....surprisingly comfortable and humiliating all at the same time.

May 27, 2013
DD (age 11 next month) will be continuing pitching/hitting lessons. Our fall season just finished and our winter workouts begin the end of December. She will also play basketball this winter.