Is there a place for tiny girls in softball 12u and beyond?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
As the dad of a vertically challenged 10 yo DD(4'6"/59lbs) who loves the game this thread has been fun to read. We also find that most underestimate the ones of diminutive stature. One of the other dads on her TB team has nicknamed my DD "Mightymouse" as she hits in the #3 hole. (and no i am not one of her team coaches....lol)

Dec 2, 2019
I think small girls have a advantage on getting noticed. Everyone notices the biggest girl on the team and the smallest girl on the team. My daughter is small and has a late November birthday, so she really looks small compared to some of the girls we play. She may not have the arm strength of a girl that's twice her size at the same age, but she makes up for that by getting rid of the ball quick. There will always be a place for smallball in softball in my opinion, it's what makes softball exciting.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I think small girls have a advantage on getting noticed.
I've lived this for 7 years, sorry I have to disagree with you Imalt!

College coaches have incredible ears, and they're not looking at small / short girls walking to the box, they're BS'ing with their other coaching buddies at camps & showcases. When that small girl makes a composite bat sound the way a composite bat is supposed to sound, then yeah, they'll turn around and watch! (I know this is sort of a broad brush comment!)

Small girls have to hit lights out, be a freak pitcher, have insane base path speed, or have a glove like Arenado, and do all these things better than their larger counterparts, it's just a fact!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2016
I've lived this for 7 years, sorry I have to disagree with you Imalt!

College coaches have incredible ears, and they're not looking at small / short girls walking to the box, they're BS'ing with their other coaching buddies at camps & showcases. When that small girl makes a composite bat sound the way a composite bat is supposed to sound, then yeah, they'll turn around and watch! (I know this is sort of a broad brush comment!)

Small girls have to hit lights out, be a freak pitcher, have insane base path speed, or have a glove like Arenado, and do all these things better than their larger counterparts, it's just a fact!

Couldn't agree more.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying