Finding Her Place in College Club softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2015
This may not be a typical parent brag post, but...

DD1 is a very high academic kid who also played A level ball and graduated 2021. Playing college softball was always a goal, as was studying Biomedical Engineering.

We went to a couple of camps at T15 schools in late 2019 and early 2020, but she didn't really shine, and then COVID made everything weird. She had a great HS season Fall 2020 but it was only 12 games and by the time she reconnected with the schools she'd been talking with they had locked their recruiting classes down. She did have interest and offers from some local D3 coaches who had seen her play, but she was focused on going to a "great" college, whether or not softball would be a part of it, and ultimately chose a T25 academic school without a varsity SB program. She played her final year of 18U club, and both she and the team did well -- I think we won 5 tournaments -- but she was the only senior on the team that wasn't committed to play at a next level.

As we helped her pack up her stuff to move away, we asked whether she wanted to put in her glove "for intramurals, or whatever" and she shrugged, and said "ok." A week or so into the semester she called, told us she'd met some club SB girls at a fair, and asked if we could pack up some of her SB stuff so she could try out. Of course we did, and of course we were delighted to hear that she made the team. She's been to a few practices now, as well as a MLB baseball game, with the team, and she says it feels like a good fit.

So my proud dad moment is really about appreciating her process to find and embrace an opportunity to continuing to play and take softball on her terms. I'm really proud that she's found a way to keep playing, expand her social circle, get to know campus better, and also stay focused on her academics. Best part was the seeing the reaction from her club coaches, HS coaches, and friends when she shared the news...softball really can be a family.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This may not be a typical parent brag post, but...

DD1 is a very high academic kid who also played A level ball and graduated 2021. Playing college softball was always a goal, as was studying Biomedical Engineering.

We went to a couple of camps at T15 schools in late 2019 and early 2020, but she didn't really shine, and then COVID made everything weird. She had a great HS season Fall 2020 but it was only 12 games and by the time she reconnected with the schools she'd been talking with they had locked their recruiting classes down. She did have interest and offers from some local D3 coaches who had seen her play, but she was focused on going to a "great" college, whether or not softball would be a part of it, and ultimately chose a T25 academic school without a varsity SB program. She played her final year of 18U club, and both she and the team did well -- I think we won 5 tournaments -- but she was the only senior on the team that wasn't committed to play at a next level.

As we helped her pack up her stuff to move away, we asked whether she wanted to put in her glove "for intramurals, or whatever" and she shrugged, and said "ok." A week or so into the semester she called, told us she'd met some club SB girls at a fair, and asked if we could pack up some of her SB stuff so she could try out. Of course we did, and of course we were delighted to hear that she made the team. She's been to a few practices now, as well as a MLB baseball game, with the team, and she says it feels like a good fit.

So my proud dad moment is really about appreciating her process to find and embrace an opportunity to continuing to play and take softball on her terms. I'm really proud that she's found a way to keep playing, expand her social circle, get to know campus better, and also stay focused on her academics. Best part was the seeing the reaction from her club coaches, HS coaches, and friends when she shared the news...softball really can be a family.
My dd followed a very similar path. Went to school in a 5 year masters degree path. Graduated with a bachelors in electrical engineering and a masters in biomedical engineering, no softball plans. Called me after a student activities night and said she had met the softball club…told me she didn’t realize how much she missed it until she saw the batting cages and her heart started beating faster.

it’s actually pretty good softball and she could fit it into her academic schedule for 2 years. Went to club World Series twice and made 2nd team all American her sophomore year. Then classes and her engineering internship got in the way.

Jun 8, 2016
Very nice! When I was in grad school at Duke I had some undergrad friends who were BME majors (they were in the library almost as much as I was which was how we became friends 😂) A good percentage actually went to medical school. Is that her plan or does she think she wants to work in that field?

If you stop playing the game when you are on “good terms” with it, it is tough to give it up when it has been such large part of your life for so long. It is cool that she has found a way to keep it a part of her life (in terms of playing) for a little while longer.

Last edited:
May 21, 2015
South
Great story! Thanks for sharing. For those of you trying to help their DD's find the best path, this is a reminder that there are multiple ways to continue with the game. Players who place a priority on academics have multiple options. My daughter considered club ball at an SEC school. She ended up at a high academic D3 and played 4 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101