Is there a place for tiny girls in softball 12u and beyond?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
Appreciate this post - DD is shortest one on her 12u team. Seems like she is the only one who hasn’t grown and as a pitcher she’s been frustrated that her speed isn’t picking up like the others who have grown taller. She’s a lefty and is working on her slapping and bunting. It’s hard to not focus on height when you’re in a team with all girls over 5’2” already and she’s only 4’10.
As a pitcher you got to play they hand your dealt. Fast pitchers tend to be either tall or average height with more mass. Concentrate on spin and movement. When you try to make a smaller girl fast you tend to get her right in that sweet spot speed where hitters tee off on them.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Just a funny "short girl" story. Anna was already committed and playing her last year of TB in 18U, we were playing in a pretty big showcase in Spartanburg, SC. Her and her team were doing their usual two lap jog around the field before their game. One of the players on the team had her grandparents there to watch her, her granddad was a elderly man, mid to late eighties I'm guessing but was very sharp, and funny! It was obvious he was thrilled to be there, he never stopped talking!

He was sitting directly behind me, when the girls were running by the fence in the OF, he loudly said "look at that little girl out there", his daughter pointed to me and said "that's his little munchkin!" He laughed and introduced himself to me, this entire family is really fun to hang out with!

He obviously knows ball, so when Anna comes up to bat in the four hole he says again loudly "she's hitting cleanup??" This pitcher is throwing gas and getting ahead on every batter but there's two on base. As Anna walks by me on the way to the box I quitely say "first pitch!" She hit a 3 run bomb to right center and that old man flipped out, it was a very fun moment for me! The other cool part of this was there was 9 or 10 college coaches actually on the field watching this game! And after the game that old man had a great time talking to and cutting up with Anna! Just one of those never forget moments for me!

Jun 8, 2016
Just a funny "short girl" story. Anna was already committed and playing her last year of TB in 18U, we were playing in a pretty big showcase in Spartanburg, SC. Her and her team were doing their usual two lap jog around the field before their game. One of the players on the team had her grandparents there to watch her, her granddad was a elderly man, mid to late eighties I'm guessing but was very sharp, and funny! It was obvious he was thrilled to be there, he never stopped talking!

He was sitting directly behind me, when the girls were running by the fence in the OF, he loudly said "look at that little girl out there", his daughter pointed to me and said "that's his little munchkin!" He laughed and introduced himself to me, this entire family is really fun to hang out with!

He obviously knows ball, so when Anna comes up to bat in the four hole he says again loudly "she's hitting cleanup??" This pitcher is throwing gas and getting ahead on every batter but there's two on base. As Anna walks by me on the way to the box I quitely say "first pitch!" She hit a 3 run bomb to right center and that old man flipped out, it was a very fun moment for me! The other cool part of this was there was 9 or 10 college coaches actually on the field watching this game! And after the game that old man had a great time talking to and cutting up with Anna! Just one of those never forget moments for me!
You know I like you but I have to be consistent.....

;)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You know I like you but I have to be consistent.....

;)
Hey, let me reminisce a little today, I had 10U practice last night and my head still hurts!

Nov 18, 2013
There are tons of examples of small girls who can play. And heart and work ethic are certainly two of the characteristics that can make a player great. However, if your looking at two girls (5' 4" and 5' 10") that have similar skills including heart and work ethic, which one will a coach at the highest level of softball recruit. There is systemic bias in softball.

Coach will take the player with the bigger bat. The 1B on DD’s team was 5’5”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802