Question about bat size charts for girls that are big for their age.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
When you look as bat size charts it seems to me like they recommend a bat that is to long and maybe to heavy for girls that are big for their age. My DD is 7 yo 4'6" 100# big shouldered girl. She played 8u this year instead of 6u because of her size and that's where her fiends were playing. According to the charts they say she should have a 30-31 inch bat that seems awful big for a 7 year old, maybe not for a 10yo of the same size. This was the first year she played softball when my wife took her to buy a bat they recommended a 30" bat so that is what she bought just a cheap 30" -13 bat it just seems awful long for her to me. I am going to buy her a decent bat for Fall season thinking more along the lines of a good balanced 29" -11 or a 28"-10 maybe I am thinking about this all wrong, I really know nothing about softball. just looking for recommendations from other people that have girls this size or coached girls this size.

Oct 4, 2018
It's generally right, IMHO.

My girls never used a 29, ever. In 8U they were using 30 and 31, and in 12U are using 32. In my opinion, using too small a bat can be just as bad as using too big a bat.

Since she has lots of friends who play, have her try out their bats in BP and see how they feel and how she connects with them.

Dec 24, 2020
I'd say based on height & weight a 30" would be a good fit. I feel like most of those charts are exactly what they are - recommendations. It all depends on how strong the player is, and their bat speed. My daughter is 10years old, and she's close to the same size as your daughter. She has what I would say above average bat speed, so I stepped her up to a 31". But I struggled with moving her from a 30-31". I didn't want it to mess with her swing, but honestly she's just fine. I wouldn't invest too much money in a 30" since that is close to needing the next size up. That's my 2 cents.

May 13, 2021
So what your saying is that height and weight is more of a consideration than age. It just seems strange to me that an 8yo a 10yo and 12yo that are all about the same size would use the same size bat.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
So your girls used a 30" and 31" in 8u and 10u.
That is way to big IMO.

My DD has always been tallish.

1st/2nd grade-28" 8U Nike garbage Bat Rec
3rd grade 30"-10U Aluminum Bat-Rec-Summer All-stars
4th grade 31" 10U Demarini Bustos-Rec-Summer All-stars
5th grade 31" 12U Demarini CF4 Rec-Summer All-stars
6th grade 31" 12U Demarini CF6-Insane Rec-Summer All-stars
7th grade 32" 14U Demarini CF6-Paradox Rec-Summer All-stars
8th grade 32" 14U LXT 2014 TB
9th grade 33" 16U LXT 2015 TB
10th grad 34" 18U LXT 2016 TB
11th grade 34" 18U LXT2016 TB
12th grade 34" Ghost 2018 TB
College 34" Same Ghost

May 28, 2019
When you look as bat size charts it seems to me like they recommend a bat that is to long and maybe to heavy for girls that are big for their age. My DD is 7 yo 4'6" 100# big shouldered girl. She played 8u this year instead of 6u because of her size and that's where her fiends were playing. According to the charts they say she should have a 30-31 inch bat that seems awful big for a 7 year old, maybe not for a 10yo of the same size. This was the first year she played softball when my wife took her to buy a bat they recommended a 30" bat so that is what she bought just a cheap 30" -13 bat it just seems awful long for her to me. I am going to buy her a decent bat for Fall season thinking more along the lines of a good balanced 29" -11 or a 28"-10 maybe I am thinking about this all wrong, I really know nothing about softball. just looking for recommendations from other people that have girls this size or coached girls this size.

The bat my dd used as 7-8 yr old was a -13 30" jenny finch bat. loved that bat. i think she's absolutely fine w 30" and can choke up half inch in meantime if needed.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
So what your saying is that height and weight is more of a consideration than age. It just seems strange to me that an 8yo a 10yo and 12yo that are all about the same size would use the same size bat.
Really? Here's a chart of the average shoe size by age. Children Shoe Size Chart by Age: SizeEngine . Would you buy her a pair of shoes based on this chart or would you have her sized properly? If she's the same size as many 10 or 12 year olds, would it surprise you that she wore the same size shoe? If not, why would it surprise you that she'd swing the same size bat? Size her properly just like you would if you were buying her a new pair of shoes. Measure her from point of the shoulder to the the other shoulder point. Now double the measurement and you have your bat size. If it's a tweener, you could go either way depending on her swing mechanics. If they're solid, go up; if not, go shorter.

Jun 11, 2012
The chart is just a guide. You need to go with what she’s comfortable with. My DD always liked a heavier bat and performed well with it so aside from the initial “that bet is too big for her” most coaches just agreed with it when they saw her hit.
Some bigger girls like a lighter bat, if it feels right and isn’t causing problems with her swing ho for what she likes

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles