instagram as a recruiting tool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
we could have an entire thread of "softball things you shouldn't share on social media"

anything with the word "grind" in it

deadlifts with scary bad form

your turn

Jul 14, 2018
The “Blue Check” on Twitter is kind of key. Those accounts are verified to be who they claim, and I understand Musk’s move to charge for it — it has real value. Instagram has the same thing, but not nearly as many people use it from what I’ve seen (mostly corporate and celebrity stuff).

The big question is whether a softball program, with an official team Twitter plus 2-3 coach accounts will decide that $400 a year is an expense that they can add to their budget.

Twitter is more conducive to posting thoughts, text, data. Not sure Insta is as good for engagement. FWIW, most players on DD’s 16U team use Instagram on their online profile, not Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I particularly dislike the “No Days Off!” Twitter posts with some video of hitting off of a tee or some gym lifting video that some PSA’s post every day. Oversaturation of mediocre content on Twitter leads to disinterest IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes this! And how about the hash tags? #hardestworkinggirlinsoftball #nosleep #grinding When I know this particular player doesn't actually work that hard.

Dec 6, 2019
Yes this! And how about the hash tags? #hardestworkinggirlinsoftball #nosleep #grinding When I know this particular player doesn't actually work that hard.
We (yes, we) like to use somewhat obnoxious hashtags on softball tweets in gentle mockery of this

Mar 10, 2020
False sense of thinking anyones following you is actually paying attention. Might as well put your name on a piece of paper and throw it into the wind.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Sidenote: You will only see/get nonsense based on who you follow and who you let follow you. Don't follow what you feel is nonsense (whatever it may be, politics, news, celebrities, etc.) and it won't show up on your page.

For what it's worth, this is basically true, but it's not as simple as "Don't follow X if you don't want to see X."

I deleted my personal twitter two years ago (encourage everyone to do this, btw; life has been better without it), but I still run school/softball accounts. I will occasionally see things based on who I follow, even if they're not people/topics I follow. If I follow a couple local sports people, and those people frequently talk politics, then the algorithm will think I'm following for the politics, so I'll get more of the politics popping up in the feed and the "For you" section. (It's even worse if, in a moment of weakness, you actually read something about that topic)

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
False sense of thinking anyones following you is actually paying attention. Might as well put your name on a piece of paper and throw it into the wind.
Most coaches don't follow many players. So when a coach decides to follow you, trust me they are paying attention to what you are posting.

Mar 10, 2020
Most coaches don't follow many players. So when a coach decides to follow you, trust me they are paying attention to what you are posting.
Already through the system twice.
My comment was for those that think that just posting on Instagram is enough and college coaches are just scrolling through hundreds of players to find them, is not the case.

May 20, 2015
on a semi-related note.....we've had two coaches send emails asking DD to follow their program on Insta recently.....not sure if they are just trying to increase engagement with their team Insta, or are trying to gauge recruit engagement, but found it interesting.....

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Already through the system twice.
My comment was for those that think that just posting on Instagram is enough and college coaches are just scrolling through hundreds of players to find them, is not the case.

If you want a specific coach to see something, you should tag that coach.

And I'm guessing it's a bad idea to tag 20 coaches on the same post. The shotgun approach maybe works if you're all-world, but tagging too many people strikes me as a new way to send spam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00