instagram as a recruiting tool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
My daughter has both Twitter and Instagram accounts specifically for softball. About 25 coaches follow her on Twitter, maybe more, and maybe five max on Instagram. I think it's because Twitter is more geared toward adults, and Instagram is more geared toward teens and 20's.

I "manage" her Twitter page because of the platform it is on. We have only had a few DM's that needed to be blocked and deleted, and she is instructed to not open any DM's without first asking. She follows only softball-related topics and people.

She is now committed to a college whose coach(s) followed/follows her. And she was also actively recruited by half a dozen coaches who follow her on Twitter.

Of those coaches, all but one saw her play either at tournaments or at their camps. And many would "like" the skills videos she shared on Twitter.

I say to use every tool you have., especially the free ones. Social Media, old fashion E-mail and snail mail, and if you want to spend money, go to the camps and subscribe to sports recruiting sights like Sports Recruits or NCSA.

The college my daughter chose, saw her in person at games, and also used Twitter, and Sports Recruits in the process.

I'm glad the recruiting process is over. There wasn't one enjoyable moment, other than finally committing.

Sidenote: You will only see/get nonsense based on who you follow and who you let follow you. Don't follow what you feel is nonsense (whatever it may be, politics, news, celebrities, etc.) and it won't show up on your page.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Sidenote: You will only see/get nonsense based on who you follow and who you let follow you. Don't follow what you feel is nonsense (whatever it may be, politics, news, celebrities, etc.) and it won't show up on your page.
Agreed. I only follow sports stuff and outside of hitting Twitter (😂) it is free of BS.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Go to the college camp.
Call the college coach softball Department.

Go to the college camp.
Call the college coach softball Department.

Go to the college camp.
Call the college coach softball Department

Go to the college camp.
Call the college coach softball Department

Keep going to college camps! And keep making phone calls.

Jul 4, 2013
I agree with using every avenue available, and that includes social media. The kids only get one shot right?

However, it seems to me that most of the recruiting oriented social media I see only go to show that all of the kids practice almost all the time, they all hit dingers when they bat, they get strikeouts when they pitch, and every girl is a modest team player. Surely college coaches see some of the same thing and have make their decisions based on other factors.

May 20, 2015
My daughter has both Twitter and Instagram accounts specifically for softball. About 25 coaches follow her on Twitter, maybe more, and maybe five max on Instagram. I think it's because Twitter is more geared toward adults, and Instagram is more geared toward teens and 20's.

I "manage" her Twitter page because of the platform it is on. We have only had a few DM's that needed to be blocked and deleted, and she is instructed to not open any DM's without first asking. She follows only softball-related topics and people.

She is now committed to a college whose coach(s) followed/follows her. And she was also actively recruited by half a dozen coaches who follow her on Twitter.

Of those coaches, all but one saw her play either at tournaments or at their camps. And many would "like" the skills videos she shared on Twitter.

I say to use every tool you have., especially the free ones. Social Media, old fashion E-mail and snail mail, and if you want to spend money, go to the camps and subscribe to sports recruiting sights like Sports Recruits or NCSA.

The college my daughter chose, saw her in person at games, and also used Twitter, and Sports Recruits in the process.

I'm glad the recruiting process is over. There wasn't one enjoyable moment, other than finally committing.

we've had her twitter for 8-9 months....only follow softball stuff, and there's plenty of nonsense still.....more lately

the reason i asked, is we have had a few coaches mention not having twitter and directing us towards insta (young assistants) and a few other coaches mentioning moving on from twitter....

May 20, 2015
I agree with using every avenue available, and that includes social media. The kids only get one shot right?

However, it seems to me that most of the recruiting oriented social media I see only go to show that all of the kids practice almost all the time, they all hit dingers when they bat, they get strikeouts when they pitch, and every girl is a modest team player. Surely college coaches see some of the same thing and have make their decisions based on other factors.

haha - we've posted all the outs she made one weekend.......mom goofed up video a few weeks ago, so we posted pictures of some good biscuits we got with a write up.....that one got a lot of love haha

Jun 8, 2016
That is social media in a nutshell..every wife/husband is perfect on social media. Nobody is posting that their husband snored all night and didn't put his dirty clothes in the wash. Gives everybody a warped sense of reality.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I particularly dislike the “No Days Off!” Twitter posts with some video of hitting off of a tee or some gym lifting video that some PSA’s post every day. Oversaturation of mediocre content on Twitter leads to disinterest IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That is social media in a nutshell..every wife/husband is perfect on social media. Nobody is posting that their husband snored all night and didn't put his dirty clothes in the wash. Gives everybody a warped sense of reality.
Back when I had FB, my wife and I didn't *friend* one another. I used to post videos of her my girls would take of her snoring in hotels. She had no idea for about six months until someone slipped and told her. Those videos used to get the most likes out of anything I posted.

I'm not sure she's entirely forgiven me...

Jun 8, 2016
People also tend to post things on social media without thinking which can come back to bite them in the as%..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad