here's one for you all

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
DD2 is a 2024, right in the midst of her recruiting process (she's looking mid to high academic DIII - a few NESCACs, a few other northeast schools)

the same school her sister is at is moving up her list pretty quickly.......right now I'd put her at a 75% chance.......she'll get in there, she did an unofficial with her sister and loved it, visiting campus and going to classes and such next month

the school fits her academic needs, has a really solid undergrad program for what she wants......softball wise it is right in her wheelhouse, a really young roster, great coach

just wondering if anyone has experienced siblings at the same school, and how it went?

DD2 is the kind of kid that has come a long way, has really gained confidence as she has grown, has come a long way towards being self driven, independent.....in some ways she is a better athlete than her sister, but has needed to make gains in the self drive/confidence department......

in a way, it would be GREAT for her to strike out on her own, forge her own path.......at the same time, there is a slightly higher chance she'd struggle than if she ended up at school with her sister.......and they do REALLY well on a team together, really love playing with each other......they push/support each other really well, and it has really helped with overall team chemistry when they have played together

it would obviously be way easier for the family.........but it is about her experience, so that really isn't a huge factor in the decision

just wondering if the sage folks here have any experience with the concept of having siblings at school together, or opinions on the matter.....

Oct 26, 2019
DD2 is a 2024, right in the midst of her recruiting process (she's looking mid to high academic DIII - a few NESCACs, a few other northeast schools)

the same school her sister is at is moving up her list pretty quickly.......right now I'd put her at a 75% chance.......she'll get in there, she did an unofficial with her sister and loved it, visiting campus and going to classes and such next month

the school fits her academic needs, has a really solid undergrad program for what she wants......softball wise it is right in her wheelhouse, a really young roster, great coach

just wondering if anyone has experienced siblings at the same school, and how it went?

DD2 is the kind of kid that has come a long way, has really gained confidence as she has grown, has come a long way towards being self driven, independent.....in some ways she is a better athlete than her sister, but has needed to make gains in the self drive/confidence department......

in a way, it would be GREAT for her to strike out on her own, forge her own path.......at the same time, there is a slightly higher chance she'd struggle than if she ended up at school with her sister.......and they do REALLY well on a team together, really love playing with each other......they push/support each other really well, and it has really helped with overall team chemistry when they have played together

it would obviously be way easier for the family.........but it is about her experience, so that really isn't a huge factor in the decision

just wondering if the sage folks here have any experience with the concept of having siblings at school together, or opinions on the matter.....
My brother and I went to the same college. We were never there at the same time though (he came in the year after I graduated). It seemed to help him adjust quicker, especially on the baseball side.

Jun 8, 2016
The only real problem I can see occurring (from a sports perspective at least) is if the older sibling was/is a legend at that school. My father's older brother by 3 or 4 years was a HS All American in basketball and I don't think that made life easy on my father when he played there...

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Before and in HS and travel softball, we often had up to 3 on the same team ... What they didn't like is being in the same class in school ... That was only an issue with our twins and we only made it happen once thinking it would be better ... Not, they hated it. In college, I think they would have ended up liking in but would have certainly bit*hed at times ... But no more so than any other sibling BS ... As adults, 3 of ours are often on the same team. If they aren't on the same team or the team is looking to pick someone up, they always put their sisters names in the hat. I agree with you that it is healthy and they need to strike out on their own ... BUT, the college campus should be big enough that they'll probably have their own space ... Our 3 that are playing in the WFA started that journey together and if / when they end their career, talk about doing so together. I guess a lot depends on the dynamic between your two ... IMHO, I would listen to them ... Ones an adult, the other is soon to be = Right or wrong, their decision, their journey. You can both play devils advocate and supportive confidant, point them to where they lead you.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
The only real problem I can see occurring (from a sports perspective at least) is if the older sibling was/is a legend at that school. My father's older brother by 3 or 4 years was a HS All American in basketball and I don't think that made life easy on my father when he played there...

I can see that happening ... A good coach could nip that in the bud ... But there are many bad coaches that would use it as ammo.

May 20, 2015
they love playing together......coach is a good one from what we've seen so far

eldest likes the idea.....oldest at first (least year) wanted to "go somewhere better than her sister", but now realizes that was foolish bravado

from an academic & softball level standpoint, it's a great fit.......both girls seem to like the idea......and 1000% agree it is their decision, not mine......just looking for input either way to help inform their decision

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I wouldn't want my girls playing on the same college team. As convenient as it would be, there would be big jealousy issues due to the differences in talent and accolades they would receive. My older daughter is a catcher, and while she is a talented player, she was always in her younger sister's shadow because she's a pitcher.

They loved playing together in HS, but they never played travel together after 2017.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I never would have imagined it but my twins are doing it and absolutely thriving. They are in their 3rd yr together at a high academic, DIII college. They have almost always been on the same teams in the same sports (softball, basketball, volleyball and lacrosse) although we have intentionally split them at times in some local programs. On HS teams and club/travel teams for softball and baseball they were together. They are definitely very close and while they each have their own interests and friends there is no question that they are best friends.

When the recruiting journey began it seemed very clear that they would each go to different schools and for different reasons but that changed as they visited with the HC (who is no longer there) and the campus at the school they both choose. We had a lot of discussion about this issue and really tried to thoroughly look at the pros and cons of them being at the same school and on the same college team. They each had other offers at different schools along with two other schools that also wanted both of them, fortunately they had options to explore and that frankly, that helped the process immensely.

Together on the field they bring incredible energy to their teams whether it's running the battery or working CF and 3rd, the trust and communication they share is clear. Academically, they now have vastly different curriculums but still share study habits and often support each other as sounding boards, proofreaders or just as an extra ear while one is working through a presentation or project.

This past Fall semester was the biggest test for them regarding being physically separate. One chose to study abroad in Amsterdam and the other DD added a second major and stayed on campus. She also had been accepted for a study abroad program in Rome but due to the addition of the 2nd major declined because there were certain labs/seminars needed that she needed to take in the Fall so that they wouldn't interfere with the Spring season. Being apart was a huge challenge for them but they figured it out and are IMHO better for it.

Sorry for the long post, it's hard to give any advice because there are so many factors to consider, suffice it to say...YMMV! As a parent, it's definitely been convenient for all the obvious reasons and it's certainly been comforting to know that if anything happens (and it has) that they are there together and have each other's back...that bond is stronger than all the other stuff that has come along and I wouldn't want it any other way.

May 20, 2015
I never would have imagined it but my twins are doing it and absolutely thriving. They are in their 3rd yr together at a high academic, DIII college. They have almost always been on the same teams in the same sports (softball, basketball, volleyball and lacrosse) although we have intentionally split them at times in some local programs. On HS teams and club/travel teams for softball and baseball they were together. They are definitely very close and while they each have their own interests and friends there is no question that they are best friends.

When the recruiting journey began it seemed very clear that they would each go to different schools and for different reasons but that changed as they visited with the HC (who is no longer there) and the campus at the school they both choose. We had a lot of discussion about this issue and really tried to thoroughly look at the pros and cons of them being at the same school and on the same college team. They each had other offers at different schools along with two other schools that also wanted both of them, fortunately they had options to explore and that frankly, that helped the process immensely.

Together on the field they bring incredible energy to their teams whether it's running the battery or working CF and 3rd, the trust and communication they share is clear. Academically, they now have vastly different curriculums but still share study habits and often support each other as sounding boards, proofreaders or just as an extra ear while one is working through a presentation or project.

This past Fall semester was the biggest test for them regarding being physically separate. One chose to study abroad in Amsterdam and the other DD added a second major and stayed on campus. She also had been accepted for a study abroad program in Rome but due to the addition of the 2nd major declined because there were certain labs/seminars needed that she needed to take in the Fall so that they wouldn't interfere with the Spring season. Being apart was a huge challenge for them but they figured it out and are IMHO better for it.

Sorry for the long post, it's hard to give any advice because there are so many factors to consider, suffice it to say...YMMV! As a parent, it's definitely been convenient for all the obvious reasons and it's certainly been comforting to know that if anything happens (and it has) that they are there together and have each other's back...that bond is stronger than all the other stuff that has come along and I wouldn't want it any other way.

appreciate the long post!

this was from last season in our local paper: https://www.centralmaine.com/2022/0...-hall-dale-softball-team-to-state-title-game/

DD1s quote is very similar and speaks to your last paragraph: “My sister being in the lineup, it just makes a huge difference to have someone that I know is by my side,” said Emma Soule, a senior shortstop. “It just makes it a better connection (on the field) with all of us.”

Oct 4, 2018
People don't seem to share which college their DD goes to. Just an observation. I may share that if and when the time comes, but would love to know which programs and schools are great for your DD's so they can potentially be added to our list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee