instagram as a recruiting tool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What percentage of Instagrams tagged to a coach do they actually look at?

Guessing they don't look at all of it.
Going with half at best.
But that is a very general guess.
Hmmm....😏 That could actually get annoying after a while and might just turn into insta'trash ??? And then that mute button that people don't know they're not being followed.
*Unless they know they are specifically looking for the player

Oct 3, 2019
For what it's worth, this is basically true, but it's not as simple as "Don't follow X if you don't want to see X."

I deleted my personal twitter two years ago (encourage everyone to do this, btw; life has been better without it), but I still run school/softball accounts. I will occasionally see things based on who I follow, even if they're not people/topics I follow. If I follow a couple local sports people, and those people frequently talk politics, then the algorithm will think I'm following for the politics, so I'll get more of the politics popping up in the feed and the "For you" section. (It's even worse if, in a moment of weakness, you actually read something about that topic)
Is this why I get so many scantily clad females, randomly following me on my Twitter account that I set up specifically for softball related content? Who are these coaches I follow, following???

Oct 3, 2019
I agree with using every avenue available, and that includes social media. The kids only get one shot right?

However, it seems to me that most of the recruiting oriented social media I see only go to show that all of the kids practice almost all the time, they all hit dingers when they bat, they get strikeouts when they pitch, and every girl is a modest team player. Surely college coaches see some of the same thing and have make their decisions based on other factors.
I have had this same concern about the Fastpitch Media profiles. I'm not bashing them. I've been accused of that but, I have yet to see one player stand out from the rest, well, maybe one, a shortstop that actually fielded like a shortstop.

Jun 8, 2016
Sounds like use of social media, specifically college coaches’ use, should be a breakout session topic at those coaches conferences that are coming up. If I was attending I would rather listen to them talk about ball but in 2022 it is important.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Twitter is where I go to find news from all sides. Usually differs from what the Main Stream outlets are feeding us. I've also become better at finding Bots usually run by Russian Troll Farms. I prefer to follow IG for softball stuff.
I'm actually enjoying twitter more now than I used to. I find less noise than just a few weeks ago. But my interests are different than most people. I tend to listen to sports radio on Xm because I actually want to hear about sports. I would rather hear a breakdown of the upcoming football game than a discussion about Tom Brady's marriage... Unfortunately drama sells, so I'm left with limited options.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Jul 14, 2018
Attended a college coach round table discussion with DD yesterday. They all agreed that the first thing they do after an email contact is search Twitter for a player account.

It’s more reliably sport-specific than just typing a name into Google. They also said that it’s a dependable way to see if a potential recruit has committed to another school, as they often put commitments in their headers but don’t always contact other schools to inform them that they’ve made their choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2019
It's beginning to sound as though Twitter was quite bloated with employees who did nothing. Twitter seems to be still working. There may be some people that stop using Twitter, but they'll be back.
I tried to find the original video from this Rogan podcast, but this is all ya get. Notice how there are no employees in the building to take advantage of all the perks.

What does Joe Rogan do, again?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00