Advice RE Recruiting, etc

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That is the hard part - I think she is very talented and one of the best I have seen her age. But I think like you, I want her to get a quality education if we are going to spend that much money. I've told her what I've read about how not every degree aligns schedule-wise with softball practice in college. I played at the NAIA level (in the 90's) and went to Nationals and it was VERY rewarding. I would like to see her go to a smaller school and still get the college sports experience BUT I don't want her to feel like we didn't support her dreams of playing at the D1 level.
If she is 5'10" lefty, throws 62, hits spots and has movement then almost every NAIA school with a softball program will be interested in her. Keep her grades up and she will be in the driver's seat. Wonder who that pitcher is that is ahead of her on her HS team?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
She is in Iowa which is the unicorn of HS softball. Unless things have changed they play in the summer and there is not much in the way of summer TB.
All the more reason to ditch HS ball and jump in the car for a neighboring state.

Apr 24, 2019
If she is 5'10" lefty, throws 62, hits spots and has movement then almost every NAIA school with a softball program will be interested in her. Keep her grades up and she will be in the driver's seat. Wonder who that pitcher is that is ahead of her on her HS team?
The HS coach's kid. The coach pitched (was very good/successful) in college (DIII) and her oldest daughter pitches there now. Her youngest (two years older than mine) is very good just like her older sister and mom/coach. It's a rare situation. We could move one school over either side of our district and DD would be pitching Varsity. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The HS coach's kid. The coach pitched (was very good/successful) in college (DIII) and her oldest daughter pitches there now. Her youngest (two years older than mine) is very good just like her older sister and mom/coach. It's a rare situation. We could move one school over either side of our district and DD would be pitching Varsity. Luck of the draw, I guess.
I KNEW IT!!!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

There would be D1s interested in a 5'10" lefty who throws 62, hits spots and has movement.

May 27, 2013
Agree with the other posters who listed go college camps! Now, this will require some soul-searching and research into schools that potentially have the majors she is interested in.

She can start emailing coaches now to get on their radar. Never too early to do that. She probably won’t get any responses due to her age but she can let them know she’s interested. Very important to do if she goes to their camps.

Just something to consider even though some will disagree with me…..if she‘s truly interested in playing D1, she really needs to look at the schools’ rosters to see if other players are biology or animal science majors. Some D1 SB programs will not be easy at allowing the balance of playing ball AND being a science major - especially if a lab heavy major.

Also, not every kid thinks going D1 is amazing. Some realize that in order to achieve the degree/career they want and still play ball, it might mean playing some other level than D1 where it is literally like a full-time job. Does she fully have her heart set on dog-training? If so, she does not need a college degree for that. She should find a trainer who she can apprentice with if that is her main goal (I know of a few good trainers on the east coast - I used to train in Schutzhund).

I also agree that with her level of talent, she needs to get on a good club team known for placing kids at the level she wants to play at. It will only help her. Good luck! She sounds very talented!

Apr 24, 2019
If she is 5'10" lefty, throws 62, hits spots and has movement then almost every NAIA school with a softball program will be interested in her. Keep her grades up and she will be in the driver's seat. Wonder who that pitcher is that is ahead of her on her HS team

There would be D1s interested in a 5'10" lefty who throws 62, hits spots and has movement.
Yes, I'm sure. She isn't throwing 62 consistently. But I think she will definitely be there soon, still has little things to fine-tune. She is a powerfully built girl though. Not dainty. I was going to attach a video but can't figure it out.

Apr 24, 2019
Agree with the other posters who listed go college camps! Now, this will require some soul-searching and research into schools that potentially have the majors she is interested in.

She can start emailing coaches now to get on their radar. Never too early to do that. She probably won’t get any responses due to her age but she can let them know she’s interested. Very important to do if she goes to their camps.

Just something to consider even though some will disagree with me…..if she‘s truly interested in playing D1, she really needs to look at the schools’ rosters to see if other players are biology or animal science majors. Some D1 SB programs will not be easy at allowing the balance of playing ball AND being a science major - especially if a lab heavy major.

Also, not every kid thinks going D1 is amazing. Some realize that in order to achieve the degree/career they want and still play ball, it might mean playing some other level than D1 where it is literally like a full-time job. Does she fully have her heart set on dog-training? If so, she does not need a college degree for that. She should find a trainer who she can apprentice with if that is her main goal (I know of a few good trainers on the east coast - I used to train in Schutzhund).

I also agree that with her level of talent, she needs to get on a good club team known for placing kids at the level she wants to play at. It will only help her. Good luck! She sounds very talented!
Thank you! So hard to make such life-altering decisions at 14. I know in the end it will all work as it should but I love all the insight. Very much
appreciated!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Sure, if that is practical. But unless you are along the I80 corridor there is not much Nebraska has to offer.
More than one road takes you to Omaha, and I35 takes you to KC. Practical is always the show-stopper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13