Increase speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2024
Hi Everyone. My daughter is a leftie pitcher in 12U. She pitches at 44/45 mph. Seems like her speed may be decreasing. She has gotten taller. Does puberty play a factor? She loves to throw drop balls so maybe that is what I am noticing.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Hi Everyone. My daughter is a leftie pitcher in 12U. She pitches at 44/45 mph. Seems like her speed may be decreasing. She has gotten taller. Does puberty play a factor? She loves to throw drop balls so maybe that is what I am noticing.
It can. Mind and mechanics haves to adjust to a changing body. What does she do to build speed?

Jun 18, 2024
Nothing at this moment. She was in conditioning two days a week but with school, pitching lesson once a week and softball five days a week we stopped. School is out now and I am contemplating adding conditioning back in during the day 2 times a week.

Jun 18, 2024
Part of her pitching practice should include a velocity section where she goes all out. I will usually start by telling the pitcher 10% faster, then go up from there. Walk-ins, heavy and light balls can be included.
Thank you! This sounds like something that she has done before where she pitches from the bucket. Pulls out ball after ball and pitches as many as she can (fast as she can) into the net for 30 seconds.

I just purchased some weighted balls as well.

Jun 18, 2024
I didn’t even think about that. That would be conditioning! What is long toss? Is that where they go further back behind the plate than their normal distance? I really appreciate your help!

May 17, 2012
What is long toss? Is that where they go further back behind the plate than their normal distance? I really appreciate your help!

You need a lot of space, like a football field. There is a correlation between (pitching) speed and the distance thrown in a long toss.

Some baseball players do this as well, I would google 'Jaeger Long Toss' and go from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831