Danger zone speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2014
Question about speed progression. Assuming high level 16u travel-ball play (games against the top 25 teams in the nation), I am wondering if as a pitcher progresses in speed if there is a space where they just end up being easier to hit temporarily. For purpose of the question I am thinking of it like a scientific controlled experiment. So for example

Good movement on pitches. Rise (5-11 spin), curve, change.

The thought, and I will use fastball first as an easy example-

55mph is fairly slow for this level, with good spots might this cause timing to be off for batters and give her slightly more success
She is now 59-60mph. Did her speed increase almost put her in the perfect timing zone for hitters?
As she jumps to 63-64 she should be better off one would imagine

The same could be said for the rise maybe-

Pitcher was having tremendous success throwing the rise at 53mph average.
Pitcher is getting hit more consistently now at 57 average mph (again same spin axis, etc..)
60+ should get her over the hump.

Literally just a theory, curious everyones thoughts?

Aug 5, 2022
58-60 will get her blasted without spin and spot. If you are pitching well in that range you will be fine but if you miss your pitch is likely going yard or for extra bases. 65+ you get grace when you miss and 60-64 is grey zone you better not miss much even in that range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
It sounds good in theory but I don't think it holds. The faster you throw the harder it is to hit as the margin of error is smaller.

Sure there is something to be said for throwing slower or faster than everyone else but the upper 50's/ low 60's is fast enough to be effective at the 16u A level.

To put it another way, I have never asked a pitcher to throw slower because her ball was too hittable at a faster speed.

The most likely variable is the level of competition you are facing.

May 23, 2014
Agreed with your statement but I am thinking more of if everything is the same. Let me word it differently. If I put a hitter up against a machine that throws the same exact pitch every-time, lets say a riseball with the exact same spin I have the machine throw it at

What is the chance the 57 is actually easier to hit than the 53 because the speed is more "normal"?

Maybe there isn't an answer LOL, just curious if anyone has thought about this in depth. I have seen quite a few girls who struggle with "slower" pitching in my day which is where this thought started and then it evolved

May 23, 2014
It sounds good in theory but I don't think it holds. The faster you throw the harder it is to hit as the margin of error is smaller.

Sure there is something to be said for throwing slower or faster than everyone else but the upper 50's/ low 60's is fast enough to be effective at the 16u A level.

To put it another way, I have never asked a pitcher to throw slower because her ball was too hittable at a faster speed.

Thanks appreciate the thoughts on this!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Literally just a theory, curious everyones thoughts?

It depends upon skill level of the batters. The better hitters adapt quickly to the pitcher.

In 14U TB, the pitcher could literally tell the batter that the next pitch is a changeup and most batters will still miss the ball.

In D1 college, if the batter finds out that the next pitch is a changeup, the ball will end up over the fence.

Why? D1 hitters work on adjusting their swing to the pitchers.

May 17, 2012
Agreed with your statement but I am thinking more of if everything is the same. Let me word it differently. If I put a hitter up against a machine that throws the same exact pitch every-time, lets say a riseball with the exact same spin I have the machine throw it at

What is the chance the 57 is actually easier to hit than the 53 because the speed is more "normal"?

Maybe there isn't an answer LOL, just curious if anyone has thought about this in depth. I have seen quite a few girls who struggle with "slower" pitching in my day which is where this thought started and then it evolved

Girls that struggle with slower pitching haven't built-in resistance to their swing so it's all launch and go. These are the players that struggle with the change.

The girls throwing 53 could probably get away with it one time through the lineup and that's it.

"A" teams don't fear "B" teams but they might struggle with a "C" team throwing eephus pitches. Would love to see that....

Jan 28, 2017
Maybe wrong but with a DD that is a solid pitcher and is always trying to gain speed, when she gains speed the ball tends to get up in the zone a little. I feel this is more the problem than the speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45