I have a new hate for oversized fields

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I agree and DD will agree about Fly balls both giving and taking her share of outs that way. I was just hoping for one of those happy accidents this year. Now I have to make sure she isn't swinging for the fence next week when it's 200' down the line.

Jun 24, 2013
We played on a field with 180 foot fences, I asked the HC about it and she said there are no hard and fast rules about the fence distance. There is a 30 – 40 mph blowing up to LF/CF field. Kid on our Team hit a line drive over the CF fence, took a second to get out of the park.

What I heard down from me was: “Finally!” I would assume this was her 1st home run. :)

Bad news is I do not think the ball a player on the other Team has landed yet, I think it is in orbit.

Apr 1, 2010
I hate it when the ball skips under temporary fencing for a ruled-double when it's one of our girls hitting, but I love it when it's the other team. :-D

With regular permanent fences, I've seen a lot of 220'. That's fairly standard.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The WCWS is played on a 200' field down the line and that is since 2010 when it was moved back from 190. 200' would appear to be a standard.

Added. Deep center is 220 so somewhere between the pole and center field DD may have hit one over the fence and then again maybe #44 with the good glove snags it just above the fence.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
Line drives in the gaps are the goals. Home runs are happy accidents. At 18u fly balls are outs.

-W

Not really. Home runs, are just that, home runs. They are far from accidents.

Sure the goal is a line drive. But home run hitters like to get the ball up too.

Power hitters are judged by HR's. I like 220', it separates the men from the boys, and lets the power hitters get more hits in front, as they are usually played deep.

Mar 26, 2013
If my information is correct. The college fields are a 200' minimum.
For 6' fences, it's 190' in LF/RF and 220' CF. These were only highly recommended minimums in the past, but the rule was just changed to establish future requirements for new construction and institutional fields with a 4' fence.

Regarding Fence Distances (Rule 2.10)
…For all new construction after 2016, it is required that the fence be 6 feet or higher and be a minimum of 190 feet in left and right fields and 220 feet in center field. By 2017, an institutional field with a 4-foot fence must be a minimum of 210 feet in left and right fields and 230 in center field and it is highly recommended that a municipal field with a 4-foot fence used by the institution be at those same distances…
RATIONALE- THE FIRST CHANGE ABOVE IS TO SPECIFY THAT THE HEIGHT OF THE HOME RUN FENCE BE AT LEAST 6 FEET FOR ALL NEW CONSTRUCTION AFTER 2016. THE SECOND CHANGE IS TAKING WHAT WAS A HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FENCE DISTANCE FOR A 4-FOOT FENCE AND MAKING IT A REQUIRED DISTANCE FOR AN INSTITUTIONALLY CONTROLLED, EXISTING FIELD WHILE LEAVING IT AS A RECOMMENDATION FOR EXISTING FIELDS USED BY (BUT NOT OWNED BY) AN INSTITUTION.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing