Torn labrum in hip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
DD1 appears to have a torn labrum in her hip......she's been treating, trying to manage her workload, still playing......she managed to play 6 games in FLA in full (out of 9), with one more playing in the field only.......pivoting on the hip, driving at the plate seem to give her the most grief

they have been playing her at 2b, as that is where she is most comfortable, thinking it's easiest on range and the shortest throw; she is finding the pivot is a little more extreme to post up and make the throw, and is thinking SS or 3B may be a little easier......roster wise, if she can get time at SS and the other SS moves to 2B, it makes the most sense, but that is really out of her control

depending on how things go this weekend, she may go to the Dr and look into cortizone......but she is also wants to finish the season if possible

wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation, what helped, etc

May 20, 2015
Why still play on injury?

Even to just finish the season may cause more problem to the area.

really not going to do any more damage.......she'll start treatment plan once the season ends, worse case scenario with a non-surgical plan she'll miss fall ball.......if surgery is an option, recovery is more like 3 months.....

May 13, 2023
really not going to do any more damage.......she'll start treatment plan once the season ends, worse case scenario with a non-surgical plan she'll miss fall ball.......if surgery is an option, recovery is more like 3 months.....
Things that come from inflammation and longer-term irritation happen. Other things like tendonitis and bursitis set in. As well the muscles in the region get affected by having trauma to the area. Which can cause further instability from muscles over and under compensating. Which can cause further damage to the labrum and other soft tissues.

Particularly the hip joint being connected to such large muscles and the femur rotating the body weight is a big connecting focal point. Would consider possibly pulling a muscle somewhere else trying to compensate.

My feedback is consider the longevity of wanting to use a healthy hip socket. Versus creating unnecessarily more damage to what you know is already injured.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
Things that come from inflammation and longer-term irritation happen. Other things like tendonitis set in. As well the muscles in the region get affected by having trauma to the area. Which can cause further instability from muscles over and under compensating. Which can cause further damage to the labrum and other soft tissues.

no one (trainer & Dr) at this point feels like any more damage will result from finishing the season; that it is just a pain management issue

May 13, 2023
that it is just a pain management issue
wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation, what helped, etc
My feedback is from people who have been through the similar situation. Which continuing to play on it caused further problems.

If your goal with this injury is to just go pain management route you might want to consider cryotherapy.
Pain management while additionally trying to reduce the inflammation caused by the TRAUMA to the area.
Screenshot_20240312-084755_Chrome.jpg

May 20, 2015
just looking for something like "hey, my daughter had the same, and she practiced with a scrambled egg in her shoe, and it helped!" kind of stuff

she's making bigger decisions with her trainer/doctor/coach/parents........just trying to see if anyone had anything that helped (there's a ton of different braces, she's working ice baths, warm heat before practice......someone has suggested accupuncture.....

May 13, 2023
just looking for something like "hey, my daughter had the same, and she practiced with a scrambled egg in her shoe, and it helped!" kind of stuff

she's making bigger decisions with her trainer/doctor/coach/parents........just trying to see if anyone had anything that helped (there's a ton of different braces, she's working ice baths, warm heat before practice......someone has suggested accupuncture.....
Hmmm sorry don't have any experience with scrambled eggs in the shoe...

But I have used acupuncture before. It can relieve pain. However it was short-term relief from Planters fasciitis in my foot. Relief was an hour or two at best.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Hey, I can speak to this one!

I got a torn hip labrum surgically repaired in 2020. But here's the catch: I actually tore it in, I believe, 2013. I was trying to ice skate, started to slip, caught myself and felt a painful pull in the groin area. I remember saying that it was going to hurt later, but it actually didn't feel too bad.

I spent the next 7 years playing sports, coaching, etc. and never knew anything was wrong.

When we started up the season in 2020 (right before the world shut down), I found that I was getting a catching feeling when I tried to run. It wasn't that painful, just felt weird. And deep inside. Covid shut everything down, so I decided to just see if I could rest it. About a month into lockdowns we went to the park across the street. I tried to test it out and felt the same discomfort. Running was the only thing that really bothered me. Extended front toss sessions (constantly landing on that leg) made my leg/hip feel tired, but not painful.

I don't know the severity of your DD's tear, but I know for me I was told what was done was done. I went to the doc in June, did a couple months of physical therapy for two reasons: 1) insurance said so even though no amount of therapy would repair the injury and 2) to build up strength in the surrounding muscles to make recovery/rehab easier. I got the surgery in September. Did physical therapy until the following May, but I was doing basically everything but running in about 8 weeks.

I'd say no to the cortisone, but I've also found it to be completely ineffective with a couple other things I've had. I don't like it. It's not going to fix anything. I believe I was offered PRP, but my insurance didn't cover it and the docs weren't enthusiastic about it actually working.

A couple things if she does need surgery: I was shocked at how little pain there was. I never took a single pain med outside of whatever they gave me when I was knocked out on the day of the surgery. The only real pain was the couple times I moved a little wrong in the first couple weeks. My PT told me that hips are much easier and less painful to rehab than knees. I actually started PT the day after the surgery.

A funny story: My follow-up was 10 days or so after the surgery. I was still using crutches. I felt like I was never going to walk on my own again. Doc did the checkup, I asked when I would be off crutches, and he said I didn't need them anymore. I was like "I'm pretty sure I do." "OK, if you say so, but you don't." He was right. I tested it out at the office, only used one for getting up/down from a chair for that day. Walked into PT the next day and they were shocked. Turns out I just needed to be told I was good to go for my body to get itself together and just do it.

Your daughter is a couple decades younger than I was when I got the surgery done. Maybe her tear can heal on its own. But in case it can't, I'm here to tell you that the surgical option is not that bad. If you time it for the off-season, she might not have to miss too much softball time.

Oct 4, 2018
Ugh, so sorry to hear it. My best to your daughter.

My DD had pain deep in her hip that didn't really stop her, but caused some pain when pitching. We played one tourney and she could play well, but we knew something was wrong.

The sideline experts all feared a torn labrum.

We went to a sports doctor and he did an Xray and it was obvious (to him) that the injury was her tight quad muscles actually pulled the top of the hip bone enough to break it. I can't remember the term, but it was pretty much just a broken bone thing and 6 weeks of no activity healed it 100%. So we missed two fall tournaments and come January we were in PT and able to play in Feb.

I'm assuming you already know it's a torn labrum. Hope it's a quick recovery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles