I have a new hate for oversized fields

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD moved up to 18U this year and has struggled somewhat at the plate either biting on the first pitch for a squib to the SS or flying out. Today with the wind blowing in and playing on a 220 foot field she hits a blast that is caught by a pretty good CF at the fence. On every other field we've played on this fall it's yard. She batted first or second in the lineup last summer with a .311 BA and with a .443 OBP. Now she is sitting in the 8 or 9 spot on the 18U team and feeling somewhat demoralized at her lack of contribution. She could definitely use some positive reinforcement that the mechanics are there and I'm glad the coach acknowledged the hit afterwards.

Anybody else trying to sort out DD's swing or psyche after moving up this fall and struggling at the plate? She is reading Mind Gym right now and hopefully she takes away some insight from that.

Mar 1, 2012
We've played tournaments that use baseball fields - now that is an oversized field! Outfielders get good exercise as line drives roll forever- 14u.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
One of the fields near us is a converted baseball field. 315' to center field, and the amount of foul territory rivals an MLB stadium.
(must be 40+ feet from home plate to the backstop)

Ya need a golf cart to get from the 3rd base dugout to the 1B coaches box :-/

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I guess I got used to 200 down the line on a lot of the fields around here. We have played on a few of the slow pitch fields that were 390 and a line drive in the gap could be an in the park homer.

(must be 40+ feet from home plate to the backstop)

I don't know what is worse, those that are so close there's a good chance a wild pitch comes back to the catcher or those 40' deep.

Jul 26, 2010
Line drives in the gaps are the goals. Home runs are happy accidents. At 18u fly balls are outs.

-W

Jun 11, 2013
We play at one complex with 300+ foot fences and it's artificial turf. Sometimes they use portable fences at 200 or so, but if they don't anything that gets by the OF is an HR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing