Hypothetically speaking...would this be a bad thing or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
What if a player loaded (coiled and weight back) when the pitcher went into her wind up motion? In other words, a "static load," then went into her high level swing from that position when the pitch was delivered. Would this necessarily be a bad thing? I know various individuals have opinions on loading too early but I would find it interesting to hear opinions about how bat speed might be affected.

Jan 25, 2011
Not to put words in FFS post, but I seem to have read. He likes a slow load, don't rush it. I agree with a slow load.

Oct 10, 2011
pre-coil

There is nothing wrong with having a pre-set coil and can be found in many swings to different degrees.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have no problem with it and had my own dd doing what we called a pre-set coil in her stance last year. Her rear leg was turned in and she was coiled back around it in her stance.
She was not as wide as Pujols, but I would say his coil is preset.
Pujols_fbc_ccp_snf.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have always liked Upton's action as one to copy A preset coil/stretch, kind of a knee cock, and a simply hand path.
JUpton_4_25_09.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yocoach, I view something different in terms of a “static load” than what is depicted in RHC’s GIFs. What I view is a pause in motion, and a restart, which would not be ideal and often results in an arm powered swing.

It would help to actually see a video of what you are describing.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I wish I had one to show FFS. I have always had DD get into her load (weight on rear leg and coiled) much like the Pujols. gif except her feet are not as wide. Then all she has to do is wait on the delivery. Last weekend we had a clinic with a gentleman who worked the clinic circuit with Bustos and Carrier for many years. Now he is out on his own and was trying to get my DD to wait longer on the load so the load would go directly into the swing in one smooth motion as opposed to starting with a pre-load and then going into the swing. I was just wondering if there would be a big difference in bat speed between the two as DD feels more comfortable already loaded and just waiting on the pitch as opposed to loading as the pitch is delivered and going into the swing. Her swing is actually eerily similar to Pujol's swing. I guess if it's good enough for him it will serve DD well. Thank you all for responding.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
My DD's swing is almost exactly like Pulhos. Same width of stance also. Must have a powerful body to pull it off though.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would say there are as many or more wide stances with girls as there is with boys. I have heard more than one sec coach promote it as necessary, along with studies, for women to have a wide stance or stride width.
Mendoza_01.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors