Outfield Is Not a Punishment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The difference is that three of those four are always important. It's not difficult to convince a kid that P, C, and IF are important because they're even important at 8U. But they watch the games, and they know the OF is less important (until it's not).

I do think getting the buy-in from players can be difficult. The girls I've had the best success turning into outfielders are ones who had little to no experience playing before playing at a level where the outfield mattered. Their entire experience is knowing that not only will they get a ball or two a game, if not more, but that catching those balls is really important.
My 1st job was cleaning parking lots and toilets at a highway rest stop..it sucked big time. Hated it. Boss expected me to do a good job so I did the job the best I could. 🤷‍♂️

As a parent you shouldn't have to convince your kid of anything other than you need to work as hard as you can to be good at whatever it is you are doing...As softball is a game (and not a job) then if a kid isn't able to enjoy doing that playing OF then they should find something else to do with their time.

Last edited:

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
2022 DD played six positions this year, including all three OF spots. She loves 1B but on our team there is a lot of "depth" there with kids that can't play anywhere else. Has pitched/played 1B last several years but we always kept working on OF; sure enough got to a high-level travel team; wasn't in the top couple of pitchers but they love her bat & she can play OF so she plays every inning. Has a couple of D2 college offers to play OF. Glad she kept her options open over the years instead of pigeon-holing herself.

Nov 22, 2019
My 10 year old DD actually prefers playing the OF when not pitching. She had a gorgeous diving catch this fall, and has done the same in practice a few times, which has gotten her excited about it (plus she’s also not the biggest fan of getting into an infield ready position). After pitching practice she once in awhile asks to work on fly balls.

Feb 26, 2020

Let’s play a little fastpitch Jeopardy! Here’s the answer: the Eastern Front, Siberia, and the outfield. What’s the question?

Name three things no one wants to get banished to.

During WWII, the Eastern Front (the losing war in a horrible winter in Russia) was the threat used to keep German soldiers and officers in line. At least it was on Hogan’s Heroes.

Throughout much of the tenure of the Soviet Union, Siberia was a place dissidents were “disappeared” to when the government didn’t want to outright kill them.

And to many in fastpitch softball, the outfield serves a similar function. They believe it’s where players are sent when they’re either judged (incorrectly) as not being not good enough for the infield, or they’re not part of the “in” crowd.

Sometimes that may be true. I won’t pretend there isn’t favoritism in where players are assigned on some teams, or that coaches don’t think some kids have the skillset to play the infield and have to put them somewhere else.

But there are a whole lot of reasons a perfectly good infielder may get assigned to the outfield instead. Beginning with the fact that she can actually catch a fly ball.

For those who have only observed it, catching a fly ball may seem like a pretty simple skill. It isn’t a quick reaction time thing like a sharp ground ball, and you have plenty of time to get into position – even if you have to run for the ball. How hard could it be?

Actually, plenty hard. It’s sort of like doing instant geometry.

You have to judge how hard the ball was hit, where its trajectory will take it, allow for the winds aloft as well as on the ground, avoid looking into the sun or lights for too long, and make your way through all the little divots and moguls no one has ever bothered to clean up. Not to mention the drainage grates and other knee-and ankle-destroying obstacles field designers who have obviously never played outfield might build in to keep the grass looking nice.

Then, quite frankly, there is the attention factor. With a top-quality pitcher in the circle, an outfielder may not see a ball hit her way for three or four innings. Sure, she has responsibilities to back up a base on every batted ball, but on many infield plays she can mentally be on a beach in Maui and still have time to realize something is happening in the game and then run to her spot.

Not saying she should, but she can. But then when the ball does come her way, she has to make all the calculations we just discussed and get there in time to make the play. It can be tougher than you think.

While the story about Gen Z’s attention span being shorter than a goldfish’s may be just a myth, it is definitely difficult to remain highly focused when A) not much happens around you for a long time and B) when it does happen it’s not likely to cause a significant injury (like a hot line drive in the infield will). An outfielder’s Spidey-sense just doesn’t need to be that acute.

The look many coaches see when giving their 20-minute post-game speech.​

Here’s the thing, though. Hits to the outfield tend to have larger consequences when they get through. You have no doubt heard of an “infield single,” which is either defined as A) a ball hit so sharply that even though it was fielded in time the runner made it to base safely or B) an error by the scorekeeper’s daughter.

But you never hear about an infield double, triple or home run. The fact is, a ball between infielders, or just over their heads, causes only minimal damage. A ball between outfielders, or just over their heads, often results in extra bases.

You also have the factor that a ball that gets by an infielder can and should be backed up by an outfielder, at least in most cases. A ball that gets by an outfielder is generally backed up by a fence – or a whole lot more grass on a fenceless field.

Then there’s the fact that outfielders have a much greater area of responsibility just in terms of square footage. An infielder overall is responsible for about three feet to either side for the most part, anywhere from five to about 60 feet forward, and maybe 20 feet backward. In most cases it’s more like a 3′ x 5′ box.

Outfielders, on the other hand, have their areas of responsibility measured in square yards. They could have a good 80-100 feet from the fence (real or imaginary) to the edge of the infield grass, and roughly 1/3 of the total area of the outfield. More if you count backing up other outfielders and balls that land fair and roll into the far corners of the field.

That’s a lot of open space to cover. Oh, and no one goes out and grooms the outfield before or between games. You’re lucky if someone picks up the poop left behind when the ballfield was used as a doggy park or as a rest stop for the local goose population.

You see where I’m going. While infielders may get more action throughout the course of a game, it doesn’t mean they are more important. In fact, I would argue just as many if not more games probably turn on poor outfield play than infield play.

I can think of a particular case in point. I remember watching the Olympics all those years ago when softball was still in it. Team USA and Japan were playing in the Gold Medal game, and it was a tight contest.

Late in the game, with runners on base, a Team USA player lofted a lazy fly ball to left field. The Japanese left fielder – who in all fairness probably played shortstop normally on whatever other team she played for – started backpedaling, tripped over her feet and fell down, allowing what would be the winning run to score. Had there been an actual outfielder out there, the outcome may have been different.

I also remember one of my students, who was playing at a D3 university in the Midwest, complaining about the lack of outfield play on her team. She would induce an easy fly ball that a semi-competent 14U travel ball outfielder could have caught and it would end up falling for a double. She couldn’t believe that a college softball player couldn’t handle a fly ball hit directly to her, but there you are.

The point of all this is that, outside of 10U travel and probably most rec league ball, the outfield isn’t simply the equivalent of the reject couch in the first scene in Animal House.

Yeah this one.​

It’s a valuable position that requires speed, agility, mental acuity, mental toughness and a willingness to lay yourself out when the game is on the line.

Being put in the outfield doesn’t mean you’re bad. It actually means, as Liam Neeson would say, you possess a particular set of skills.

This is the attitude you want to take.​

Any coach who has ever experienced a major, heartbreaking loss because of poor outfield play, which is pretty much every high-level coach, knows just how important that position is. Instead of lamenting that you’re not in the infield, embrace your role in the outfield and give it all you’ve got.

You may just find that you love it. And even if you don’t, it could end up being your portal to where you want to go.

Goldfish photo by Chait Goli on Pexels.com

More...

Outfield takes just as much skill and knowledge to play as infield. You will never see a seasoned infielder outplay a seasoned outfielder in the outfield.

Jun 8, 2016
Outfield takes just as much skill and knowledge to play as infield. You will never see a seasoned infielder outplay a seasoned outfielder in the outfield.
They both take skill and knowledge for sure. That said, you won't find many college SS who were primarily OF in TB vs. the other way around....

Apr 26, 2015
Me again...DD had a teammate for the last 3 years that loves playing outfield but her parents wanted her to play infield. They would whine and cry and beg the coach to give her playtime in the infield. She hated every minute of it but was afraid to tell her parents. She was scared of the ball in the infield but was fast and had an arm like a cannon so outfield was perfect for her. That said - she was the RF because she had such a strong arm. She could throw a runner out at home or 3rd no question. But put her in CF and she just couldn't do it. The read on fly balls or line drives was always off. She would let ball after ball drop because her angles were off. DD has been a CF in HS and TB for 3 years (when she wasn't catching). She embraced the OF - it's her happy place. On her current team they rotate the OF so they play one inning in LF, one in CF and one in RF. It is such good experience because who knows where she might play in college - and the read on the ball is completely different.

People can say all the time that anyone can play outfield - and while that may be true not everyone can be great in the OF and honestly - you have to love the OF to be great out there! DD doesn't play OF because she can't hack it in the IF - she plays there because she loves it. Many a game at the 16/18 level is won or lost in the OF. It ruffles my feathers to hear people downplay the importance of the OF. Everyone always praises the pitcher, the catcher, the SS. OFers have so few opportunities to make that hallelujah moment catch. But when they do!!! Wow! And when they miss...there goes a couple bases or even a run. Mistakes in the infield are rarely as costly. OF is the last line of defense. Not saying everyone else is not as important but please don't downplay the importance of the OF.

3 weeks ago DD's highschool played their biggest rival. There were coaches there from a local DII that DD was interested in but she had really not gotten any responses from them over the summer. They were there to watch the catcher from the other school. Well DD had a great game. She was one of only 2 girls to hit off the other pitcher and she went 2 for 4 with a double. In the OF she made a full extension, full layout diving catch in right center and a sliding bucket catch in CF plus several routine catches and one throw to home for an out. Everyone yelling - hit anywhere but to CF! She got home that night to an email from the coach who had no idea who she was but her "passion and spark in the OF" caught the coach's eye. They have since invited her for an official visit - they told her they usually don't recruit OF this early but they loved watching her play. They also loved watching her play when she had no idea anyone was watching because it made her play "authentic". Very happy for my outie!

Jun 8, 2016
It ruffles my feathers to hear people downplay the importance of the OF.
Who says this?? If my 11 YO tells me how to teach my Continuum Mechanics class I am probably not going to pay much attention to it..

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That said - she was the RF because she had such a strong arm. She could throw a runner out at home or 3rd no question. But put her in CF and she just couldn't do it. The read on fly balls or line drives was always off. She would let ball after ball drop because her angles were off.

I suspect a lot of this is a confidence issue. Reading balls in CF should be easier (except that line drive directly over the CF's head) than right or left. I suspect that a player who likes the OF, is pretty good at a corner spot, and has the ability (speed) to cover CF would develop into a good one. I'd bet she's thinking way too much about it because of a few early mistakes (and knowing CF is supposed to be harder). She just needs to get out of her own head.

Dec 2, 2019
The difference is that three of those four are always important. It's not difficult to convince a kid that P, C, and IF are important because they're even important at 8U. But they watch the games, and they know the OF is less important (until it's not).

I do think getting the buy-in from players can be difficult. The girls I've had the best success turning into outfielders are ones who had little to no experience playing before playing at a level where the outfield mattered. Their entire experience is knowing that not only will they get a ball or two a game, if not more, but that catching those balls is really important.

Depending on who you are playing at 8u, outfield can be very important. There are some big 8u girls that can absolutely crush the ball. There have been a lot of games where our team has moved our more talented girls out of the infield and into the outfield. And right field is one of the most important positions at 8u with backing up bad throws at first, there are a lot of bad throws to 1st.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478