how would you feel?? tournament issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
Can't believe anyone would have a problem with this. if it was my DD's team, I would want them to play against the best possible competition. I would have been irked if at the last minute the best team was pulled from 14U to play exclusively in 16U, robbing us of our chance to play them. This sport isn't about collecting trophies.

Did you read what I wrote? My issue wasn't playing them. Im glad we played them, my issue was that they got 2 chances in the same tournament in 2 age brackets to get a championship, which one of the teams did. We defintley are collecting trophies for sure. That wasn't my point AT ALL. Our team is actually still 12U elgible, we are playing in 14U to play better teams.

Sep 10, 2013
And I'm trying to figure out why someone would have an issue with that. I can understand if a team is an A class 14u team and dropped down to a C class for state or something (there were a couple teams that did that local this year)...but for a 14u team to play in their age group for state....where's the issue? Look at it like this...if that team is that much better, would you rather take beatings from them all summer and not have a chance at bringing home a trophy? If they are good enough to play up...let them! If they want to compete for state in their age group, why not? If playing up gives them a big advantage, why wouldn't you suggest your team do the same?

OK one last time, my issue wasn't where they are playing. We are a 12U elgible team playing `14U for better competition. My issue wasn't that we didn't bring home a trophy ( we did get a plaque we came in 3rd). My issue was that 2 teams played in the same tournament in 2 age groups and got the chance to win 2 championships. I don't care what age group teams play in but you shouldn't get 2 chances at a championship. So one fo those teams won both the 14U and 16U championship in the same tournament. I just don't find that fair.

Nov 29, 2009
SB4U

How many teams were in the 14U division? How many were in the 16U division? I'm guessing not many if it was a 1 day tournament. I would guess 8 max and it was single elimination? It sounds like it was on the smaller side.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If a similar thing happens in the future, I would suggest that you volunteer your team to play up in the 16U division, and then you will have your opportunity to play for 2 championships. Those two 14U teams sound like they played a lot of games, and were rewarded for stepping up. I know plenty of coaches who would not want to play those extra games out of fear that they would deplete their chance at winning in their own age division. Had they not stepped up, they would still have won your division, and the 16U division probably would not have played at all.

Sep 10, 2013
If a similar thing happens in the future, I would suggest that you volunteer your team to play up in the 16U division, and then you will have your opportunity to play for 2 championships. Those two 14U teams sound like they played a lot of games, and were rewarded for stepping up. I know plenty of coaches who would not want to play those extra games out of fear that they would deplete their chance at winning in their own age division. Had they not stepped up, they would still have won your division, and the 16U division probably would not have played at all.

they played the same amount of games as any of th14U teams would have played if they had won it all. It was a 4GG with the potential to play as many of 7 if you made it all the way. Those 2 teams played 4 on Saturday and 3 on sunday. So it wasn't an unusual amount of games.

Sep 10, 2013
SB4U

How many teams were in the 14U division? How many were in the 16U division? I'm guessing not many if it was a 1 day tournament. I would guess 8 max and it was single elimination? It sounds like it was on the smaller side.

Im not sure how many were in the 16U divison, we had 9 in the 14U on Saturday and then 11 when the two teams that played up came on sunday. I know the 2 teams that played in both age groups each played 7 games, 4 on Saturday and 3 on sunday.

Jul 6, 2013
OK one last time, my issue wasn't where they are playing. We are a 12U elgible team playing `14U for better competition. My issue wasn't that we didn't bring home a trophy ( we did get a plaque we came in 3rd). My issue was that 2 teams played in the same tournament in 2 age groups and got the chance to win 2 championships. I don't care what age group teams play in but you shouldn't get 2 chances at a championship. So one fo those teams won both the 14U and 16U championship in the same tournament. I just don't find that fair.

My post was in response to y'all saying it was basically wrong to play up all year and then to play down for state...and to admit to it. Not about the tournament. But with regard to the tournament, c'mon. Are you concerned that they had the chance to get double points or that your team didn't get the chance? If its the latter, think of the hypocracy of your posts. I think it's been stated that they couldn't get double points, and they didn't. Too many times people are far too concerned with what others get and not what they themselves do. You sound as though you may be the type who gets pissed to find out someone makes 10 million a year salary because people just aren't worth that much......no offense, but serious question.....are you a union member?

Sep 10, 2013
My post was in response to y'all saying it was basically wrong to play up all year and then to play down for state...and to admit to it. Not about the tournament. But with regard to the tournament, c'mon. Are you concerned that they had the chance to get double points or that your team didn't get the chance? If its the latter, think of the hypocracy of your posts. I think it's been stated that they couldn't get double points, and they didn't. Too many times people are far too concerned with what others get and not what they themselves do. You sound as though you may be the type who gets pissed to find out someone makes 10 million a year salary because people just aren't worth that much......no offense, but serious question.....are you a union member?

Wow really. I am a parent just wondering how other people would feel in this situation. We were not the only concerned team and I was curious as to how others view it. All you had to do was state your opinion, not judge me for my opinion. And no I'm not a union member.

Jan 24, 2011
I just don't see this as a big deal at all. Just another case of people getting all worked up over nothing. You got what you paid for , you weren't slighted in any way. Move on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing