how would you feel?? tournament issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
That is awesome....it probably kinda sucks then to be the best team besides these two after coming from the cellar. but this is still a big accomplishment. I can see why this hit you the way it did.

It is a huge accomplishment, last weekend we placed 2nd and this weekend third! Even my daughter said "mom it feels so good to walk off the field happy that we won and that our hard work is finally paying off"!

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I'm glad that your team is doing well - my DD's team was one that came alive partway through the season; it was fun to see it all click for them.

I'd look at it from the point of view of the TD (though the t-shirt thing is a little odd, unless this program was sponsoring the tournament in the first place). The TD had to offer some incentive to the 14s as a sort of thank-you to them for playing in the 16s. What if they had gotten destroyed? Then they'd be all mad because they were forced to throw batting practice to 16 year olds. As it happened, the 14s were better than was projected, but it was too late at that point; everything was already in motion. I would think, though, that the teams would be disqualified from any sort of points or what-have-you that they would get from the NSA.

The whole "proper division" debate will go on forever. The other day I actually listened to a dad bragging about his DD's team, saying "we'll probably spend most of the season playing up, then drop back down to clean up our age division at State". This was the first time I actually heard someone say that out loud!!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
I'm glad that your team is doing well - my DD's team was one that came alive partway through the season; it was fun to see it all click for them.

I'd look at it from the point of view of the TD (though the t-shirt thing is a little odd, unless this program was sponsoring the tournament in the first place). The TD had to offer some incentive to the 14s as a sort of thank-you to them for playing in the 16s. What if they had gotten destroyed? Then they'd be all mad because they were forced to throw batting practice to 16 year olds. As it happened, the 14s were better than was projected, but it was too late at that point; everything was already in motion. I would think, though, that the teams would be disqualified from any sort of points or what-have-you that they would get from the NSA. That is what would make ME angry if I was one of the 14s coaches, but they should have known that going in, so I pretty much just say "meh" to the whole thing.

Turns out the TD is one of the managers for the 18U team for one of the teams. And actually one of these teams is playing all 16U tourney's this fall (according to their website). Im pretty sure the reason the 2 teams were picked was because of their record, the TD knew that they would get destroyed.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Aha. I edited the "meh" bit - not sure I WOULD say "meh" at the time - probably years from now when I look back at the whole crazy scene. I added in a bit about age divisions - it truly is a crazy business :)

Sep 10, 2013

I'd look at it from the point of view of the TD (though the t-shirt thing is a little odd, unless this program was sponsoring the tournament in the first place). The TD had to offer some incentive to the 14s as a sort of thank-you to them for playing in the 16s. What if they had gotten destroyed? Then they'd be all mad because they were forced to throw batting practice to 16 year olds. As it happened, the 14s were better than was projected, but it was too late at that point; everything was already in motion. I would think, though, that the teams would be disqualified from any sort of points or what-have-you that they would get from the NSA.

The whole "proper division" debate will go on forever. The other day I actually listened to a dad bragging about his DD's team, saying "we'll probably spend most of the season playing up, then drop back down to clean up our age division at State". This was the first time I actually heard someone say that out loud!!

As far as points go I just looked at it and all the sudden there is nothing to even show the 16U age group played this weekend. It said the team had 7 wins and the second place team had 5 wins with 2 losses (the 2 championship games) so they got the points for the 14U division.

And I cant believe someone would actually say that out loud.....

Jul 6, 2013
And I'm trying to figure out why someone would have an issue with that. I can understand if a team is an A class 14u team and dropped down to a C class for state or something (there were a couple teams that did that local this year)...but for a 14u team to play in their age group for state....where's the issue? Look at it like this...if that team is that much better, would you rather take beatings from them all summer and not have a chance at bringing home a trophy? If they are good enough to play up...let them! If they want to compete for state in their age group, why not? If playing up gives them a big advantage, why wouldn't you suggest your team do the same?

Sep 18, 2011
Can't believe anyone would have a problem with this. if it was my DD's team, I would want them to play against the best possible competition. I would have been irked if at the last minute the best team was pulled from 14U to play exclusively in 16U, robbing us of our chance to play them. This sport isn't about collecting trophies.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
...The whole "proper division" debate will go on forever. The other day I actually listened to a dad bragging about his DD's team, saying "we'll probably spend most of the season playing up, then drop back down to clean up our age division at State". This was the first time I actually heard someone say that out loud!!

This is a fairly common practice around here and the teams freely admit to it.....

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
This is a fairly common practice around here and the teams freely admit to it.....

That doesn't seem unusual at all. Lots of good or aspiring teams will play up an age group to prepare for a tough tournament like a state or regional or national. Asking or allowing a team to play in two different age groups in the same tournament was very unusual. At least from my experience. Especially in a qualifier of any kind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing