How do you handle another parent trashing your DD?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2019
The OP started with "Our 16U B team has two pitchers..." That's probably why the coach is letting that behavior happen.

Feb 20, 2020
The OP started with "Our 16U B team has two pitchers..." That's probably why the coach is letting that behavior happen.

Yeah. It pretty much means the season is over, because you can't count on lining up guests, and DD can't pitch every inning. We've had luck so far, but it does have to be a factor.

Feb 1, 2021
Yeah. It pretty much means the season is over, because you can't count on lining up guests, and DD can't pitch every inning. We've had luck so far, but it does have to be a factor.

Unless you are bottom of the barrel, which it appears you are not, then your team will be a step up for a lot of girls. I wouldn't call it done just yet.

Apr 9, 2020
could not be more porud of how you handled it. you didn't give in to his bs... the lesson you taught your daughter about not letting things get physical will extend well beyond the white lines in her life.. more so when him and his daughter and his wife are on their 7th team in the next few years bc of HIS antics which in turn will hurt his daughter in so many more ways then just her pitching arm that he thinks will never be overused.. it will hurt recruitment the softball world is real small and words get around not just about the players but about the family especially when the coach call the travel coach to see about the not just the player ... it will follow him and her ( im sure she is a decent kid ) around more than they know... you keep your head up, keep being a positive role model for your daughter and she will be just fine... kudos to you...

Oct 4, 2018
I understand what everyone is saying, and I'm sure that I was right in not hitting him.

But the thing is, the reason guys keep doing shirt like this is because people keep taking the high road. He knew he could talk shirt about my daughter because he knew he wasn't going to get beat up for it -- he knew there'd be no real consequences. it's why he had his daughter and wife there, because he knew that no one was going to insult her while she stood there, and it gave him the freedom to say whatever he wanted.

I think the reason there's more bullying from everyone these days is we've gotten away from the adage we grew up with -- the best way to stop a bully is to hit him/her in the mouth.

Your coach really should kick them off the team. That's the solution.

Oct 4, 2018

You said earlier girls like picking up with your team and do it often.

Around here, it's really easy to find pick-up pitchers. So many girls wanting extra reps. We played an entire season with 1 pitcher just guesting the second spot each week. Takes a bit of internet work, but soon they come asking you if they can pitch for your team next weekend.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
1. You always let someone that wants to make a fool of themselves continue.

2. You never fight with an idiot because someone my show up late and not know which one was the idiot.

3. you did the right thing…better to teach composure that how to get arrested.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Sorry but the not punishing the kid business is BS. All the kids know he's like this. All the kids hear it, think about it and it gets in their heads. We don't give kids enough credit. So instead of removing the cancer the coach punishes all the kids by forcing them through a stressful season with someone like this to deal with. Coach needs a back bone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
To take this post one step further, the dad knows that teams won't want to punish his dd for his behavior. In fact, that encourages more poor behavior. If you (The OP)think that this is over, it is not. It will get progressively worse. At some point, your dd will be brought back into this as it escalates. There is a very good chance that you will have to turn up your response as well. Bullies will bully as long as they can get away with it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There was only one correct response ... and it should have come from the coach immediately:

We’re going to miss having your daughter on the team. Good luck with the next team.

Frankly, this is exactly what I would have done. The damage caused by losing the player is far less than the damage this father can cause if allowed to continue. Just not worth it, in my opinion.

That said, I feel really bad for the player. Her focus should be on playing the game. Not worrying about what issues her parents are creating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck