help with 2 sport players playing both sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
Parents can you give me any help or examples of how 2 sport players were able to be committed to both sports and how
the coaches of each sport handled it. Ex. playing in showcase tourney during volleyball season/basketball/cheerleading did player miss one day of showcase due to other sport. Did the other coach excuse player for missing and get benched the next game. Or can you still get a college scholarship without having to play in a showcase every 2 to 3 weeks.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Every coach is different. My dd had to miss a volleyball match due to a classroom required activity and was benched for a month. She was starting most matches and had just finished up a 5 match tourney where she was never taken off the floor. Told the coach that in 10 days she was going to miss a match and why, she didn't play the entire month of October and played 6 points in one match November 1, season is over now. Of course the coach won't say thats why she sat, but its the only thing that happened between the tourney (where she played well) and the benching.

You need to know what each coaches expectations are, some will not allow a kid to play a second sport during season. Some will see which direction the kid is headed and support that.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
My DD plays field hockey (Fall sport) & is on the regional showcase circuit for softball. When she did try-outs for softball this summer, she was offered positions with multiple teams, but most wanted a complete commitment to softball Fall/Winter/Summer (Spring is for school ball). There are 5 club softball players on DD's school field hockey team and all 5 had already committed to play field hockey for their school team & trained all summer to be in shape for the field hockey season (they run an awful lot in FH & her team doesn't have many substitutes). DD signed on with a club softball team with a large enough roster who was willing to work with her school sports schedule. One of DD's team mates will play DI softball if she doesn't swith over to field hoickey full time; she's enjoying it that much.

The club softball/field hockey players have missed a far amount of softball time this fall due to field hockey, but I can't say it really impacted recruiting - we live in the Northeast & most of the girls who go on to play college softball here will play in this region since there are so many schools - not many being recruited by UCLA, Georgia, Alabama, etc.

The showcase events many of the teams here play in the fall attract the regional coaches where most of the kids apply & are an easy drive & many don't require an overnight stay (drive back & forth daily). DD did her coach emails had looks from several of the D III schools on her list as they are academic fits for her.

With field hockey, the school sport came 1st for all of the girls as it was in season; softball runs about 6 weeks this time of year due to the weather & shorter days. Softball was a nice diversion for them, but the work they put in for field hockey was worth it as they won a State Championship Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD was all set to tryout for FH this fall after working out with the team over the summer when all the sudden we got the email from SB about not playing during fall ball. She probably could of gotten away with it but she opted to try and move up the org chart. She will play BB regardless and SB will have to be accomodating but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Dec 7, 2011
The one case I am aware of that "worked" is where a D1 caliber girl flirted with a D2 college offering her D1 pitching capabilites if they were to agree to have her on the vb squad too. WHen you're looking a level below your capability I think it might be pretty easy to make happen. Not sure of this conclusion but it sure makes sense to me in this "everything's negotiable world".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414