Heard an interesting quote today....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Come on, if you say you'd rather have the pitcher you are either stupid, ignorant or drunk. :D

It's the catcher who is the most important player on the field. It's the catcher blocking all the balls thrown in the dirt and leaping up and snagging all those high pitches that prevents base runners from running around the diamond like cars at a NASCAR race.

Just kidding of course.

Sort of.

Sep 18, 2011
You are supposed to keep the generator outside the shelter when ice fishing. Otherwise the fumes... :)

I love the smell of gas fumes in the morning. Smells like... victory. Like a Minnesota Golden Gophers victory. Or like their 11-4 and 1-0 victories over South Carolina last year. :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I assumed the original post was talking about defense not offense.

And that might be the case. That wasn't clear to me.

If it's pitching vs. defense (fielding), then I don't think there's any question. A great pitcher with average defense will do much better than an average pitcher with great defense, IMO. Remember that she said average defense, not bad defense.

Not saying that defense is unimportant, but in college fastpitch, I think fielding is no more than 10 percent of the game.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I love the smell of gas fumes in the morning. Smells like... victory. Like a Minnesota Golden Gophers victory. Or like their 11-4 and 1-0 victories over South Carolina last year. :)

Aren't you supposed to start talking ND smack now? Why limit yourself to the frozen rodents when you can now represent the drunk Irish?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As Giants fan let me just say that it was really nice having a Mad Dog pitcher. But then again my Dodger brethren did not fare so well with an ace pitcher.

I'm still weeping about that one. Having an untrustworthy bullpen hurt us bad. Having a mediocre defense didn't help.

As hard as this is to say, as a Dodgers fan, I have mad respect for Mad Bum's grit and determination.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Just to further muddy the waters, keep in mind if your "great" pitcher is on a par with other "great" pitchers in the conference then she's not great. She's average within that context.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom