Just a brag on DD and a few observations - D3 ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Sorry for the long read, but thought I would share DD’s journey her first season of D3 ball……

DD’s first college season came to a close yesterday - they did not make playoffs so they are done. Sadly, after an amazing Florida spring break trip where they only lost 2 games, Covid hit the team hard and for the rest of their season, they missed players for key positions at any given time. They only carried 15 players to start, so missing players every series due to our Covid protocol hurt. It just seemed like we never were able to regain the momentum we had in Florida.

That being said, I’m so proud of dd! She led her team in BA, hits, and SB. She tied the program record for SB which has stood for almost 20 years. She played often at a new position for her (1B) when she wasn’t pitching. She also was the DP when she wasn’t on the field. Proves the point to be willing to learn more positions and never become a PO early on if you want to see the field a lot in college (unless you are a legit P5 commit)! Also, proves the other point that if you can hit, they will find a spot for you!

DD also learned that she has a lot to work on this summer in regards to her pitching. Hitters are bigger and stronger and much more disciplined, even at the D3 level. What you could get by on in HS and even in higher level TB needs to be executed much more crisply and reliably in college. As a parent who has always been pretty tough on dd and would completely admit when she didn’t pitch well, I’ve got to say I saw more heart from her this year on the mound than ever before! The majority of the pitching duties were split between just dd and another pitcher, which meant a lot of innings and being called back in to pitch at a moment’s notice after she had already pitched that day or in that game. She held her own, and now she knows what she needs to do in order to be better for next season. I feel dd will be much more prepared for next season by knowing what to expect as a pitcher.

Similar to DD’s HS team, I see this program only growing and improving. We have 6 amazing recruits coming in for next season for key spots that we were missing this year. They are a great recruiting class who will make an impact from Day 1. Interestingly enough, two of the recruits are legit slappers which will bring our team to 4!! This team used to be built on power hitters and now the pendulum is swinging the other way. Will be very interesting to see how this impacts our hitting!

Looking forward to next year - and super proud of dd for playing college softball while also rocking it in the classroom as a Bio major!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Thanks for sharing!!! Congrats on the SB record and her freshman year. Lots to learn and lots to work on.
Instead of creating a new post, I will add if you don't mind.

DD's team finished their regular season by losing to #5 Belhaven 3 times. First game they lose on a walk off, 2nd game lost 2-0, and 3rd game another bottom of 7th walk off. And they beat ETBU last week. And yes. If you put the ball over the middle of the plate, the ball goes over the fence....ALOT. Ask me how I know. I just got off the phone with DD. She was awarded the team MVP at their awards luncheon. She said she almost cried, because her memory feed from 3 years ago was her HS sports banquet where the coach did not give her any recognition for anything. Just a piece of paper. She left bawling. So yeah. This is pretty awesome for her.

Aug 9, 2021
Thanks for sharing. Being on the other end of HS and just starting out on this journey, I love reading these types of stories.

May 27, 2013
Thanks for sharing!!! Congrats on the SB record and her freshman year. Lots to learn and lots to work on.
Instead of creating a new post, I will add if you don't mind.

DD's team finished their regular season by losing to #5 Belhaven 3 times. First game they lose on a walk off, 2nd game lost 2-0, and 3rd game another bottom of 7th walk off. And they beat ETBU last week. And yes. If you put the ball over the middle of the plate, the ball goes over the fence....ALOT. Ask me how I know. I just got off the phone with DD. She was awarded the team MVP at their awards luncheon. She said she almost cried, because her memory feed from 3 years ago was her HS sports banquet where the coach did not give her any recognition for anything. Just a piece of paper. She left bawling. So yeah. This is pretty awesome for her.

You are always more than welcome to tag onto my posts!

So awesome for your dd!!!

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
D3 NESCAC and NEWMAC conferences are no joke. Didn't see a team without at least 2 legitimate pitchers all year.

And since the season is compressed due to starting later because you are in the Northeast and most non-confernce play is between these two conferences it never let's up.

Also this season it never warmed up.

May 27, 2013
Thanks for sharing. Being on the other end of HS and just starting out on this journey, I love reading these types of stories.

Enjoy the ride - and if I can help answer any questions, please feel free to reach out any time!

May 27, 2013
D3 NESCAC and NEWMAC conferences are no joke. Didn't see a team without at least 2 legitimate pitchers all year.

And since the season is compressed due to starting later because you are in the Northeast and most non-confernce play is between these two conferences it never let's up.

Also this season it never warmed up.

Yes! We had most games in the 30’s and 40’s temperature-wise and a few in the rain as we have turf. Cracks me up when they all are in short-sleeves if it touches 50 degrees!

We also had to squeeze in some of our canceled conference games due to Covid. Also missed about 6 out of conference games that would have been nice to have played.

Definitely tough D3 conferences!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28