Heard an interesting quote today....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I was listening to a Blog Talk Radio interview today, and something that was said in the program intro by a college coach caught my attention. Not sure which coach said it, but here is the quote, "I would rather have one great pitcher and 8 average position players, than 8 great position players and an average pitcher". Thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion. Which would you rather have?

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/coachroges/2014/12/15/boiler-up-with-kim-schuette

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It depends on how you define average and great.

I tried to find some way of measuring this objectively, and this is the best I can do: Cat Osterman is very dominant even against some of the best hitters in the world of pro fastpitch - 16-0 w/ a 0.56 ERA. Meanwhile, an average pitcher is not dominant against an average starting 9. So if you're talking a really great pitcher, then yes, that would make sense. Great pitching can stifle great hitting, but average pitching can't stifle average hitting.

But then how many Cat Ostermans are there?

And back to my original point - We know what a great college pitcher is. But what is an average college pitcher? Average among all college pitchers? Average D-I player? Average Big Ten player? Average SEC player? Average player in the WCWS? The tighter the circle, the better chance the 'average' pitcher will have.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
To paraphrase the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, "Good pitching will get you through times of weak defense better than good defense will get you through times of weak pitching."

Jun 7, 2013
I'd take the great pitcher and average everywhere else. For example, if your great pitcher is Cat Osterman with a 0.56 ERA then you only have to score one run to win the game.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Give me the pitcher.

A bad defense is tough to watch, DD has been on both sides of this. Last year coach went out to talk to the P and the parent next to me said what are they going out to talk to her for; she is the only one on the Team doing her job. 5 out innings get old pretty quick but I will still take the P.

Sep 18, 2011
One thing, though - if you have a truly great pitcher and an average to below average team around her, you won't have that great pitcher for very long.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just ask RayRay what her dad thinks. For that matter how dads of pitchers think about average to below average fielders.:p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom